Sunday, March 13, 2011

{Getting Crafty} Irish Banner

This is my favorite banner yet.
I wanted something a little less rustic than this one that I have hanging over the family room fireplace.

For this banner I used card stock, a stamp, pigment ink, embossing powder, heat tool and chipboard letters.
I stamped the design onto card stock in copper.

This was my first time using embossing powder. Just sprinkle it over the wet ink and pour off the excess.
So it looks like this.
Then apply heat with the heat tool.  This part is fun! 
We were a little too close here.
As the ink turns dark and shiny, move onto another section.
Then I cut rectangles from the stamped green card stock and slightly larger rectangles out of the brown card stock.
I mounted the green card stock onto the brown.
I wanted to spell out Irish with the chipboard letters. I thought the white looked a little stark against the green.
So I tested out adding some stamp ink to the letters (testing on a letter that I wouldn't need). The stamped letter blended in much better than the stark white one.
I forgot to take pictures of adding the ribbon from this project but I used scrapbook adhesive to attach the card stock to the ribbon and hung it on this mirror in the dining room.

I hadn't planned to hang it in the dining room but the colors really worked the room.
It looks nice during the bright days (from my naked windows).
And sort of glows at night.
We have one other Irish decoration in the dining room. We got this Slainte plaque in Ireland.
Still missing Ireland...

There's a lot to miss there.


It's time for a post about Ireland.

Linking up with:

Pin It

19 comments:

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

That is so fun Heather. Nice job! I love how it turned out.

Toni said...

Very nice!

I want to go to Ireland more than I want to go Anywhere! Bucket List.

Ellie-A Little of This and a Little of That said...

I'm your newest follower from the Boost My Blog Friday Blog Hop. If you get a minute please drop by and follow back. Have a wonderful week!
http://alittleoftheother.com

Jennifer said...

Hi I found you on Not So Moody Monday blog hop and just wanted to say HI! Hop over for a visit when you can.
http://wedemeyerfamily.blogspot.com

Chelsea said...

Cute! I love your St. Paddy's day banner! :)

~Chelsea

blueviolet said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!!! I've never used an embossing gun. I love that effect!

Connie @ Measured by the Heart said...

Hey
coming to you from between naps on the porch linky party. I miss Ireland too even though I've never been. great blog!!

Queenie said...

Your banner is so pretty Heather, thanks for the tutorial on how you did it, very creative...Happy St. Patrick's Day to you :)

Anna said...

Hi!

I'm from the Boost my Blog hop. I love the Irish banner and would love to go to Ireland. I look forward to future posts.

Feel free to check out my blog here:http://inadaze13.blogspot.com/

Hanna said...

GORGEOUS!!! I love any kind of bunting! I have been making my own for my kids parties! great idea and beautiful photos for St. Patricks Day too:) Thank you for linking up to the handmade hog. I hope to see you next week too!!

Hanna

Susanmeep said...

I am following you (suelee1998) from the blog hop, you have a great site. Would you please follow me back? http://susansdisneyfamily.blogspot.com/
thank you :)

milliemorganmedia said...

Your blog is TOO cute. I am your newest follower and I would appreciate it if you checked out my blog and followed me back. I look forward to reading more posts.
http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

Prairie Patch said...

Heather, I love your old fashioned Irish banner. Very pretty and stylish and oh so Irish!!

Thanks for linking up to the Perfectly Prim Party.

Cheers,
Tracy

CalypsoInTheCountry said...

Great banner! I liked the tutorial - you are very creative!

Flower Photography said...

I think it's ace!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Heather, The banner is so cute! Thank you so much for sharing this at my new party. Happy St. Paddy's Day.
Hugs,
Sherry

Jessa Irene (Holiday-Haven) said...

Wow this is beautiful! Very nicely done. Thanks for adding it to the St. Patricks Day party! Happy St. Patrick's day to you!!

Christina @ The Tattered Tag said...

It is all so charming! So happy you joined last weeks K.I.S.S. blog bash, your creativity is appreciated. Please remember tomorrow is another fun blog bash, drop by & share more inspiring ideas!

Drop by The Tattered Tag

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

This banner is my favorite, too! I can't wait to hear more about Ireland. I'll be featuring you on my Facebook Artist Talent Album this weekend. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Igottacreate/100573240032625?sk=wall
Thanks SO much for sharing at the Kiss Me I'm Irish linky party over at I Gotta Create!
http://igottacreate.blogspot.com

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails