Saturday, December 11, 2010

Holiday Open House - The Mantel

Here's the holiday mantel. I left up most of the creamy white pieces from Halloween and Thanksgiving and added in red accents with my Ikea finds.

I didn't buy anything new except the few things from Ikea. I'm loving all that fresh red and white this year!

How does it look in black and white?

I wrapped some books in red and white paper and tied them up with a bow. Most of the white pieces are from thrift stores.

The stocking hangers are from Pottery Barn.

I moved the red K up from the hearth and put it front of the mirror for a pop of color.  This Santa ornament was a gift from friends, years ago..I never put him on the tree because he's so huge and fragile. I like how he's presiding over the mantel now. I put some Styrofoam balls and ornaments in the little cheese dome cloche to look like snow balls.

A white bird sits in her nest in this cloche. The little red candle was from a Christmas store in Montreal. It's to be put in your window on Christmas eve and you make a wish. If the candle burns out in the night, the wish will come true. The mercury glass tea light holder is from Anthropologie. I found a similar one at Good Will.

The lanterns and red and white candle are from Ikea and were my inspiration this year.

These cones are from Ikea too. I didn't know what I'd do with them but I had to have them.

I also added some mittens to the garland (they were Starbucks gift card holders from a few years ago).

Our stockings are from Pottery Barn Kids. The kids have had a few different stockings through the years but I wanted all of ours to coordinate and these reminded me of the ones my grandmother knitted for us when we were kids.  The scary angels under the mantel really work with the season.
I'm also using the letter blocks that my daughter started for me.


They've already been switched out with new words, but that's the fun of it!!
Thanks for stopping by!
Blogger Templates

Linking up with:
Coastal Charms Christmas Open House
A Stroll Thru Life Christmas Cloche Party
Lily's Laundry Fabulous Friday Follow









Mingle Monday
The Boardwalk Bragfest
Pin It

12 comments:

Morgan said...

WOW! It looks like a holiday card! I am imagining Bing Crosby singing in the background!!!
BEAUTIFUL

Erin@likegrandmas said...

That is fabulous Heather! I love the red K and I especially love the round mirror behind it(love circles!)! Your mantle looks great! Thanks for letting me know!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Gorgeous. This is just stunning, I love it all. Your cloche is a beautiful part of your vignette. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

Jean said...

Those letter blocks are so cute. Love the idea.

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

Your so ready to welcome Christ birth.

Lovely mantel... that cloche of yours is one cutie collection.

Happy partying...
/chie

Annie Joy said...

So many great ideas -- makes you want to stay a while and gaze! I really like the giftwrapped books. I'm all about books, altered or as they are, and you've worked them into your Christmas tradition! Annie

Carol said...

First of all, you have a great mantel for displaying! Second of all, terrific job on the beautiful Christmas decor!

Shelia said...

Hi Heather! Your mantel looks wonderful and yes, it even looks good in black and white! :)
Be a sweetie,
shelia :)

Chelsea said...

Gorgeous! I love your mantel!

And red and white is so classic but fresh. Love it. <3

~Chelsea

concretenprimroses said...

Beautiful mysterious and warm
Kathy

Katherine ( Katie) Corrigan said...

I always enjoy my visit to your blog. Wishing you happiness, Katherine
P.S. I'm having a giveaway please stop by and enter :-)

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said...

What a wonderful welcome. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails