Wednesday, December 1, 2010

{Getting Crafty} Long Lost Post-Alphabet Blocks

Way back in June I gave you this little teaser about an upcoming project. Some people thought we were were working on sugar cube igloos.
We were actually making alphabet blocks. I love the Ballard Design letter balls but 1)I don't think they are still available (I can't even find a photo)and B)they were very pricey and 3) I personally like alphabet blocks for writing out little messages or sentiments (plus they don't roll around).
I found the wooden cubes at the craft store and gave them a few coats of white craft paint.  The steady-handed teen painted letters onto them.
Ok..this is where we come to a grinding HALT!
They were quite time consuming...she ran out of free time...there the project sat and sat...

and sat...
Until...I rescued them and threw them in a bowl.
I'm vowing to finish them up with a Sharpie (I don't know where she gets her artistic talent but it's not from me!)
See how much fun they are!

And since I don't have much holiday decorating done yet...

Jenny Matlock






The Girl Creative
Pin It

21 comments:

Chelsea said...

Super cute! I love the little dots you added on them. How fun! And versatile. :)

How much did they cost?

~Chelsea

Life in Rehab said...

That's very impressive for free hand! And they make a cute bowl filler.

Lindalou said...

Great idea. How cool to have such a steady hand. Not my gift either.

Julie Harward said...

How fun..that is such a cute idea for the whole family! Come say hi :D

Mel said...

These are seriously cute.

Your daughter definitely has a lot of patience. I'd go your route :)

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

@Chelsea..They were pretty inexpensive..I'd say less than $5 for the whole project!

Debbie said...

That is cute Heather, but yes way time consuming for me.

Sue said...

These are really neat. I love the way they look!

=)

Jackie said...

Nice project. I hope you get it done soon .

BEAR's Mom said...

this is too cute :)
thanks for sharing.
~victoria~

Jen said...

Great craft...but how did you write those letters on them so perfectly?
Fun that you use them to write out phrases too.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What fun! I love that you can change the message just by turning the cubes.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

How cute! I love that you can change them around..

It might get a little spicy around here though if I had them in the house....

gabe said...

i love the idea of leaving messages with those cubes. . .

fun idea, thanks!

Judie said...

How clever! Sounds like a terrific project.

Teresa said...

Those are very cute blocks! I'm amazed at the painting skills of your daughter. I've have to go with a Sharpie also.

Sailing Simply said...

Great idea! I'd like these much better then round balls to, especially since you can leave little messages around with them.

Jo said...

what a totally cute idea!

Splendid Little Stars said...

Those are cool! The teen's lettering is so perfect; I think that same teen should finish them up!

Jenny said...

Heather! I adore this idea! I totally, totally love what you did here. So clever! So you could make extra vowels and leave them in the bowl as a kind of message board!

Wow.

This is the neatest thing I've seen in a long time!

Thank you, thank you for linking to Alphabe-Thursday.

I now have a great craft to make in January.

A++++++++++

poindextr said...

I love these - what a fabulous idea. I'd be torn between the option of using stencil lettering like my old fashioned alaphabet blocks from ages ago, or the hand lettering. I really like your daughter's stylized lettering and the little embellishments. Truly one of a kind! Awesome project - thanks so much for sharing!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails