Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Holiday Open House - Dining Room

I didn't know how to decorate the dining room this year.  We purchased new furniture early in the year and swapped out a plate rack for this big mirror


The plate rack held our Christmas china so now I didn't know where I was going to put it all.  I also wanted to keep the buffet accessible for it's true purpose-serving food- but I wanted it to have some decoration.  A quick trip to Good Will solved my problems.  I found this Bombay & Company tray table which I figured could provide another (much needed) surface in the room.
It's acting as a mini bar.  I added a few coppery brown ornaments to the tray and popped the Partridge in a Pear tree topiary into the Pottery Barn ice bucket.  A few cocktail shakers and some Ikea champagne flutes from my daughter's Sweet 16 brunch add to the bar look.
 
From the front entrance, looking into the dining room.
The other pivotal piece I found was a mercury glass jar.  It was perfect for the buffet.



 I moved the topiaries in from the family room and added in more of the coppery ornaments and champagne flutes.


These will be easy to move when it's time to serve Christmas dinner.

And the best thing about the room decorating process was that all of our Christmas china fit in our new china cabinet without having to move too many regular pieces.





Did you have any decorating challenges this season?

Linking up with:
Pin It

19 comments:

Becky said...

My decorating challenge this year? Our 1 year old who thrashes eveything in sight! HAHA. We got a small tree and put it on the dining room table and removed all the chairs (after he was found sitting on the table, eating a candy cane off the tree.)
Oh well, next year!

Life in Rehab said...

Looks great, Heather! I LOVE the new tray table- I really miss the Bombay Company. And those bronze ornaments and touches you keep using are so unexpected. It really suits your home.

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

Looks great, what a great find that tray table is from the GW :) Looks like you're ready for some xmas cheer!

Kristy said...

Great shots! You have a beautiful home!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh my, everything is so pretty. Love all the silver and crystal and the tray table is fabulous. Thanks so much for joining TTT. I hope you have a very Blessed Christmas. Hugs, Marty

Life with Kaishon said...

You are so on the ball. Your Holiday China looks very pretty! Love it all.

Cass @ That Old House said...

So pretty!
You surely rose to the challenge in your dining room -- love the little bar table, and the sideboard looks just "right."

Merry Christmas!
Cass
PS My whole house is a decorating challenge! :-)

Donnie said...

Everything is so beautiful.

Homemade Quilts by Granny said...

I all worked out its very pretty...wishing you a Merry Christmas. Trish

Mel said...

Great tray table, what a score.

Your home looks so festive and cozy. It evokes a feeling of comfort and good food and good friends and of never wanting to leave.

Yellow House said...

Hi Heather! Long time, no visit! Your house looks amazing and so ready for Christmas! Can I hire you to come do my house next? The photos are so warm and I love the dishes. :)

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas! I'll try to do better at making the "blog rounds" in the New Year! I've missed keeping up with you!

Laura Wilkerson said...

Everything looks so beautiful....The champagne flutes caught my eye and I had to click! So glad I did!
Merry Christmas and many blessings,
Laura

Marlis said...

absolutely stunning. I love your buffet scape and the tray bar is perfect. Your home is lovely. Merry Christmas.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This is so pretty and welcoming. Love your pretty Christmas dishes.

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Everything you've done is so beautiful! Merry Christmas!

Donnie said...

What a beautiful setting you have made. I loved all your pieces especially the lighted wreath. Have a Merry Christmas.

Kay Ellen said...

Very pretty Heather and Happy Tablescape Thursday!

Merry Christmas too!

Kay Ellen

Entertaining Women said...

Redesigning a dining room does indeed demand a number of new choices. Your've done a wonderful job on your buffet and china cabinet. Thank you for sharing your charming designs. Happy New Year! Cherry Kay

Brambleberry Cottage said...

Heather, your Christmas decorations turned out gorgeous! I'm sure you were very pleased with the results. Hope the holidays were a joy for you and yours. ;)

Thanks for linking to my party. I look forward to seeing what you link up each week.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails