Thursday, October 21, 2010

Halloween Mantel

My fall mantel was taking on a creamy, natural look earlier in the season but now that Halloween is approaching, it was time to creep it up a bit.

From this:
To this:

I "shopped the house" to redecorate the whole mantel.

Let's start with some close ups. This old friend is now filled with some mini ceramic orbs from Pier 1.

 The picture frame is from this project and I updated it with some burlap as a neutral, textured backdrop for the white candles and the crow.
Some moss from the Dollar Store hangs off of the mantel (not too low because I think it's flammable).

I'm loving the earthy mirror so I left it up there and plopped this freaky black rat on the pedestal in front of it.  The composers from this cloche are now taking their frightful place on the mantel. 
More layers and textures.... I moved the white pumpkin over to the right and wrapped the mirrored candle stick with some twine like my twine bottles.    I stuck some black feathers {bought last year} into a thrift store vase.

and a stem of white berries {from the living room} into another thrift store vase.

I left my beloved cloche the way it was and what about those black bottles?
I made these chalkboard bottles for my daughter's birthday party{more info on this later!}.
Chalked on a creepy message...

All together now!

The black accents did not stop there.
I got my daughter in on the act and asked her to bling out a pumpkin for me. 
She used a black pumpkin from Michaels and some crystal and glitter stickers.


It's sitting on a tall candlestick on the hearth.

In our Halloween home, black is the new black! 


Blogger Templates
UndertheTableandDreaming



HOG
Pin It

9 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love the black spooky elements added.

Debbie said...

Nice job Heather...love the bottles!

BigBearswife said...

very nice!!! I love the bottles and the black pumpkin!!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Both mantels are fabulous. I love how you've changed it for Halloween. I love it. Hugs, Marty

Rachelle said...

I like it a lot! Especially the chalkboard bottles!

Chelsea said...

Fantastic job! I LOVE all the creepy new accents you added - my favorite is the scary rat and wine bottles. So creepy-cool!

~Chelsea

Christina said...

I love it! I'm loving the black and white contrast this season...I think black and orange has been done! :)

Life in Rehab said...

Bravo on the understated creepy factor! And the bottles are just perfect.

Julie Harward said...

WOW...I love the black added in..very nice! ;D

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails