Wednesday, October 6, 2010

{Recipe} Homemade Applesauce

I promised some apple recipes and this one couldn't be easier. Start with a few pounds of apples. I don't have exact amounts. Just core, peel and chop until you've had enough of that.


I used this apple corer that was kind of fun. 

It leaves the apples looking like this.
After the apples are chopped up and in a pot, you add about 1/2- 1 cup of apple cider, some cinnamon sticks and lemon zest from one lemon. The lemon really brings out the flavor. I used four cinnamon sticks and it was very cinnamon-y but we like it that way. Use more or less depending on your taste.

Put it all together in the pot and cook on low for about 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When the apples get soft and start falling apart, they are ready to mash. I use a potato masher. We like a chunky applesauce(remove the cinnamon sticks first).

Serve hot with some vanilla-gilding-the-lily-icecream or store in the fridge for a cold treat.
Looking for more apple recipes? Here's one for Caramel Apple Trifle.
Linking up with:


Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap   up           party!
UndertheTableandDreaming
Pin It

7 comments:

Julie Harward said...

YUM! Nothing sounds better to me right now than that! Love this type of thing in the Fall! Come say hi :D

Aimee said...

We too have been apple picking. I LOVE homeade applesauce...chunky just like yours.

I found a great fresh apple muffin recipe that we made in addition to apple jelly. It will be posted this month.

Sheila said...

Yummy! Looks like something I could have in place of actual caramel apples. These braces suck! LOL!

Life in Rehab said...

Oooooo, I see some of this in my very near future!

Homemade Quilts by Granny said...

Sounds yummy. Trish

Kara said...

YUMMY!!!! Cant wait to make this! BTW, I MUST GET an apple core-er!!!


Found you thru TT&J!

Kara

Eve said...

Oh yes, this applesauce and ice cream looks delicious. That's what I'm talking about! :D

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails