Saturday, October 9, 2010

{Getting Crafty} Pumpkin Jar Luminaries

I remembered seeing these luminaries long before I started blogging and thought they would make a fun Halloween decoration.  I used to make snowmen families out of jars and now I can make pumpkin families too.



All you need are jars in various sizes, orange tissue paper, green paint, Mod Podge and some black paper.
Cut the tissue paper into 1- 1 1/2 inch strips in the height of the jars you are using. I didn't have any Mod Podge and I wanted to get started on the project so I mixed up some white glue and water (I planned on getting MP the next day because you do need it to seal the project).

Brush the glue (or Mod Podge) onto the jar and add the strips of tissue paper, overlapping a little on each strip of paper.

Let them dry completely.

In the meantime you can work on the faces for your pumpkins.  I used the template from here and cut they out of black card stock.

When the tissue paper is dry you can glue on the faces, using glue or Mod Podge.

Add some green paint around the rim for the stem;.

Since I might display these outdoors I used Outdoor Mod Podge to seal the whole jar. (1-2 coats)

They look pretty cute during the day.

Add a battery operated tea light and they give off a nice glow at night.

I'm already thinking of some other variations of this project to try. Green jars to make "Frankies" and white jars to make ghosts and mummies.  Maybe even something like this from Grandin Road.

Linking up with:







UndertheTableandDreaming


blog button

Pin It

24 comments:

Heather@myeverydaygraces said...

Super cute Heather:) I love projects like this, quick and easy and little skill/talent involved( not saying you aren't skilled and talented:).

Have a spooky day!

Marissa said...

SUPER cute and so festive...I might hit the dollar store and make some of these this weekend :)

Tin said...

so cute and they look so easy, just the thing to make with my daughter to help get in the mood for Halloween. Thanks for the great idea.

Naila Moon of the Grey Wolf said...

I have made ones like this before but never thought of the words. Good idea!
~Naila Moon

http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic said...

Your luminaries made me smile the second I saw them! They are too cute!

Debbie said...

Hi Heather, I just bought this outdoor modge podge...can't wait to use it...especially after seeing your cutie pies~

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh my word. I absolutely love this idea Heather. These are too cute for words.

Misty said...

I love these! My kids would love to participate in this craft as well. Thanks for sharing!
I am visiting form the ISVC link party!

Diana said...

What a great idea and a great effect.
I love them

Diana

Life in Rehab said...

Hee hee, those are way too cute! I really like the little faces too. I need to find some outdoor MP badly!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Thanks everybody!!!

@Sunny, I found mine at Michael's.

Sheila said...

WOW! I love what you did here. Fabulous idea!!!

Debbie said...

Thanks Heather for joining me!!!~

Life with L said...

Heather, those are adorable. Great idea...Thanks for sharing. Linda

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Those little pumpkins are darling! I love them- they are so sweet! Coming over from B&A. :)

Condo Blues said...

I saved the cutest triangle jelly jars that would make great pumpkin jars.

The dilemma is should I use them for Halloween or fill them with Sugar scrubs for Christmas gifts like I planned?

Sailing Simply said...

Very cute luminaries using Mod Podge. I have seen many different styles done different ways and have some tin ones I made myself but never seen these. I love it! Thanks for the tutorial too!

...on the brink of something beautiful said...

this is such a great idea!!! i love it! i have to do it.
-kellie

Sherry said...

Those are wonderful! I love them outside. Such a great idea.
Sherry

Jenny at Henrietta's House said...

I have been meaning to try this. Yours look so cute, and I had no idea there was outdoor Mod Podge!!

I'm hosting a link party so get your best cocktail recipe ready and dust off those glasses! Join the Happy Hour link party this Wednesday!!

Eve said...

I would LOVE to see the snow men, I think I might do this craft. It's easy to pull off and looks great.

iheartorganizing said...

You you so creative, I am so impressed with all you. These are just adorable, thanks so much for stopping by and sharing!

xoxo,
Jen

Jami said...

These are so cute...hmmm snowmen, huh? Maybe it's not too late for me, after all! :)

Katie said...

Yep, totally followed the link from the light switch post.

I am in LOVE! We are going to have lots of mason jars left over from the wedding next year, so I am already thinking about the pumpkin families, and snowmen families we are going to have in 2013!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails