Friday, March 20, 2026

{Recipe} Irish Soda Bread *UPDATED*

*This post was originally posted in April 2015. I'm updating it to include the recipe and more photos.*
As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I made Irish Soda Bread for our Irish Night celebration.
My go-to recipe is one for Irish Soda Bread Muffins but this year I wanted to try something different.
I found this recipe and thought it looked like it would be a good one.
 My only tweaks to the recipe were 1) I used skim milk instead of whole and 2) I didn't have wheat bran so I used oatmeal that I processed in my Vitamix.
 The bread has no added sugar (or any sweeteners) but it does get a bit of sweetness from the raisins.  The caraway seeds give it a slight nutty crunch with that hint of rye bread. I love caraway seeds!
It baked up beautifully and was delicious. I will definitely be making this one again!
*Edited to add recipe*
Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups whole milk (any kind of milk is fine)
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (can sub lemon juice)
3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2- 2 1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 ounces (4 TBS) cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup unprocessed wheat bran (blend oats or use ground flax seed as subs)
1/4 cup caraway seeds
1 cup raisins (I like to use golden)
Salted Irish Butter for serving (optional)
To make:
  • Preheat oven to 350ºF
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
  • Add vinegar to milk and set aside for 5 minutes until thickened
  • Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl
  • Cut in butter with pastry cutter or two knives until it resembles course mea



  • Add bran( or oatmeal), seeds and raisins (I added some dried cranberries because I didn't have enough raisins. I also used half oat flour/half ground flax seed in place of the bran). Stir to combine

  • Add milk to flour mixture and stir until dough holds together and is still sticky


  • Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a round dome shape, about 7 inches in diameter
  • Transfer to prepared sheet and dust lightly with flour
  • Cut an X in the top about 3/4" deep

  • Bake, rotating half way through until golden brown (about 1 hour and 10 minutes) and testing pick comes out clean from center

(Mine got a little extra brown this time and only baked about 50 minutes. All ovens are different!)
 
  • Let cool on wire rack


  • Serve with softened Irish butter!  We still love it!


Pin It

17 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oh, it came out so pretty!!

Now, I'll go eat some matzah (-:

Creations By Cindy said...

This looks amazing Heather! WOW...pretty too! Usually my bread baking turns out GOOD but UGLY! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

camp and cottage living said...

Wow, looks delicious!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Beautiful! I need to try your recipe! The muffins look delicious too. I love that there's no added sugar!

Becky said...

This looks amazing! My mom would love it!

Carla from The River said...

Yummy. It looks just perfect. I will be trying this too.

Sum of their Stories said...

I crashed and burned when I was a teenager attempting to make soda bread and it was such a disaster I've never tried again. This looks amazing, I'm going to pin and then one day when I'm feeling brave I will give it another go.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Your Irish Soda Bread looks so good.
Thanks for sharing it at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.

Claire Justine said...

I've never tried this before, yours looks so good :)

Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

Anonymous said...

My cousin makes something like this and it's always so good! I should try this recipe! :)

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

MELODY JACOB said...

That is such a genius hack for when you don't have wheat bran on hand. I love that there is no added sugar because the raisins and caraway seeds give it such a cool and nutty vibe anyway. There is seriously nothing better than warm bread with salted Irish butter especially for a festive night.

www.melodyjacob.com

Ann said...

It looks perfect - I could eat a bit with a cuppa right now!

Maria Rineer said...

Looks good! I've heard of many people making/eating soda bread but have never seen a recipe. Thanks! I just may give it a try (I don't recall ever having eaten any).

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Thank you! I hope you give it a try!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I love irish soda bread and this recipe looks so good. I did not make it this year and miss it. I will have to make it again.

Carla from The River said...

I love Irish Soda Bread. I did not make it this year. We made our own dark rye bread to go with our meal.
I will have to make some, because we do like it so much.

Hena Tayeb said...

Looks good. I don't think I've ever had Irish Soda Bread.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails