Tuesday, March 17, 2026

Closet Makeover In The Guest Room

Re-doing our closets had been on our to-do list for awhile but once the drawer in our guest room closet broke, we moved it to the top of the list.

Here's what we started with when we moved in.  We had a center unit with hanging poles on either side.  We use this closet for overflow storage and for any guests that may stay in this room.  It also held a lot of my photography equipment, craft supplies, wrapping paper and the ironing board.
I used the design tools on the IKEA website to design our new closet.
We went with the Aurdal system.  It's a very affordable option compared to the Pax wardrobe system and worked best for our space.

We thought we wanted to get it in white, but once we were in the store, we preferred the oak option. I'm glad we looked at them first. This happened when we installed our Besta system in the family room as well.   
This was our Blizzard 2026 project.  What else is there to do when you're stuck inside all weekend?
It got worse before it got better. We cleared out the closet and took out all of the fixtures.  The walls were in pretty bad shape.  We have one section of wood floors that wasn't able to be refinished since the old closet was in the way but it wouldn't be that much of an issue.  At least it's better than the faux treatment we had removed before we moved in.
Mr. Click got to spackling the closet.
We never want to paint a closet but this is the one time to do it...so we did!
The installation of the Aurdal system is pretty straightforward. It doesn't have a backing piece (like the Pax system) and is affixed to the wall with a suspension rail. Please excuse my fingers!  Mr. Click is installing the first side piece of the unit to the suspension rail.
Moving along, we had both units installed. So pretty!
To the right of the units we wanted to install the adjustable clothing rod for long hanging clothes but we didn't have enough space for it so we had to improvise.  We had a wooden pole in our linen closet that we weren't using but I saved for some reason.  The hardware for the pole was also still installed in the linen closet so we were able to use it.  Mr. Click just had to cut the pole down to size.  It actually matched really well so we were stoked!
Then came the fun part of adding in the interior pieces.  We added two shelves and a hanging rod on the left hand side. The right hand side was to hold drawers and more shelves.  The drawer fronts were out of stock so this was as far as we got.  We also added a wire basket.
We were able to move things into the closet and see where everything would fit at this point.
The drawer fronts came in and they completed the look. We added some pulls in gold because we installed the drawers close together for maximum space.  I got a hanging ironing board and we added some more shelves.  I already had the step stool because I use it for photo shoots. It is very handy for getting to the higher shelves.
We've added a few more shelves and some organizers but most of them are still empty which is a good thing!

The drawers hold a variety of crafting and decorating supplies right now.
There's also a drawer for City Girl #1 (who usually uses this room when she visits) and a vanity area for her as well.
I've got some painting supplies, Sharpies and scissors as well as my favorite tape dispenser on one of the shelves.
The wire basket holds shipping supplies and extra tape.







I moved our wrapping paper supplies into this great Skubb organizer (also from IKEA) that fits under the bed. I'm obsessed. It holds so much!
We love the new closet so much and are keeping the doors off for easier access (and we just love how it looks!).  It inspired us to move onto our own closet. 

Coming soon!!


Linking up:








Pin It

12 comments:

Joanne said...

That looks lovely!

Gina said...

Oh this is a satisfying before and after. Great job!

Laura | Everyday Edits said...

love this! we did ours last year and still moving stuff around. Ikea makes it easier! congrats you guys have been. usy

Hena Tayeb said...

Ikea is a really problem solver.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Carla from The River said...

I just rearranged our front entry and our sitting room. Jeremy has no idea... hee hee. I did not have to move anything real heavy, I could push it.
I am really happy with how it looks. I also had fun recreating the space.

I love how this project came together for you. You are giving me ideas for my own closet re do. ;-)
Carla

Ann said...

What a great job - it looks amazing. I can see why you want to keep the doors off of it! Painting, spackling, etc - what a job!

MELODY JACOB said...

The way you and Mr. Click improvised with the wooden pole from the linen closet was a total stroke of genius! It fits so seamlessly that you’d never even know it wasn't part of the original Aurdal kit.

Maria Rineer said...

This looks great! Really a good job putting it together and making it a great space for storage.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Thanks so much! We love it and feel so organized!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I love your new closet makeover. You and Mr. Click did a great job. I like Ikea if you are willing to build furniture yourself. My husband has built a lot of bookcases and tv stands. I haven't been there in a long time but I'd like to visit again soon.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails