Friday, November 11, 2011

Free Fix for a Hot Mess

A hot mess...from a cold blast!
This is what the porch looked like in the aftermath of the snow.
Previously the planters looked like this, pretty much all through the summer and even into the fall.
Still looking pretty good with the Halloween decorations.
Then this! We were hit with a little surprise storm right before Halloween.  There is a scarecrow and a pumpkin under that snowy blanket.
The planters weren't the only casualty.  My beloved hydrangeas also took a hit.
They looked awful.  Normally the dry out and winter in an attractive way but the snow just whomped them. Is that a word, whomp?  They look so lovely in the spring and summer as seen here.
I had replaced this basket of planted impatiens (now dearly departed) with some dried hydrangea blossoms and liked the look so I thought I'd try that with the big planters as well.
I cleaned up the now-ugly hydrangea bush and filled the planters with maintenance free blooms.  It was a win-win.  I normally put mums in the planters but the summer blooms had hung in there so long that I hadn't had to change them out.   I really didn't want to spend the money on some mums when I'd just be  filling them with greenery in a few weeks for Christmas.  
I also took down the metal Jack o Lantern decorations and any other Halloween decor in preparation for Thanksgiving.
I'm loving how the hydrangeas look in the planters.
I played around with the arrangement for awhile until I was pleased with it.  First I had a black (Ikea) lantern on each side.
Then I put them both on one side and had a pumpkin arrangement on the other.
I added my solar light jar into the mix for a little night time glow.
I finally left the arrangement like this (added an overturned pot to give the back lantern a lift).
Then I played around on Picnik...this is the Boost effect.

and the pencil drawing effect.
I put together my turkey pumpkin and added a "Give Thanks" flag to another part of the yard to complete the Thanksgiving look.  Now if only the meal would be that easy..I'm up to 18 people for Turkey Day. Are you ready?

Pin It

8 comments:

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Love the hydrangeas in the planters too Heather. All our leaves are blowing off, and it looks so bare. Hopefully we will not get snow for a bit, after all I do live in the South. We do get a little though, enough for the boys to have fun for a few hours.

Xmas Dolly said...

Oh I love your pumpkin Turkey! Where on earth did you find something like that? To cute and more use out of the pumpkin. I have a witch one like that, but bought it at Goodwill. I'm from Java's Never Growing old. Have a great weekend. You surely have an eye for a great pic. Thanks for sharing.

Mrs. Marine said...

Thanks for participating in “Stalk Hop Friday”! I'm Following you on GFC as Mrs. Marine! Sorry it took me so long to stop by.
www.mrs-marine.com
"Stalk Hop Friday" posts every Thrusday at 5 PM Eastern!

Anonymous said...

following you from Bass Giraffe Thurs. hop. please follow back at http://www.simplyshopandsave.ca

Ewa said...

I love hydrangeas, your front off the house must look lovely all year round :)
thank you for linking up today with Flowers on Saturday

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!} said...

I can't believe you've already had snow!!! Your porch looks lovely!!

Mary-Sweetwater Style said...

Hydrageas are so versatile...just lovely...Not a mess at all!

Charla said...

I love the new porch!!! So fall!!!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails