Friday, July 15, 2011

Island Stay-cation Part 1


Wow, what month is it? Well we are finally getting to some of my dream projects for 2011. Better late than never I guess.
Remember this gorgeous island?
It was numero uno on my 2011 project inspiration.
I wanted to add bead board to our kitchen island and paint it black.
We've never done any woodworking so we thought we'd start on our bathroom vanity before undertaking such a big task.
We love the new paint color on the walls but this teeny tiny vanity needed a little love too.
(this was before the new paint color, but the best shot of the whole vanity)
I want to paint it a dark grey when it's done.
It's really quite sad in its current state, isn't it?
We purchased our materials at Lowe's.
And borrowed this saw which was a HUGE help!
The bead board fits together and needs a little nudge with a mallet to make sure it's flush with the previous piece.   There were some tricky pieces to deal with and notch out that we used a small hand saw on.
Once we were happy with how it looked, we took the plunge to attach the boards to the vanity.

We used Liquid Nails on the back 
and a few pops with the nail gun in front.
"Bam!"
We then felt confident enough to move on to the kitchen island.
That's how we spent most of our 4th of July holiday weekend.
(and we didn't just do the island-get carried away much, do we?)
to be continued...
Linking up with:
Pin It

11 comments:

Mel said...

Fantastic so far! I'll be looking for the reveal, so hurry up! LOL

camp and cottage living said...

Hi Heather
I just became a follower.
I like what you did with the beadboard. It is somethimg I've wanted to try but wasn't sure. Now that I've seen yours I'm going to for sure!! Love it!!
Stop by and say "hi" sometime.
Kimberly

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Looking good Heather. You guys have been productive this year.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love bead board and can't wait to see it all finished.

EG Wow said...

Looking good. I'm curious to see what happens next.

Lindalou said...

I can hardly wait to see the finished project. Looking at the picture of your kitchen, I think this look is going to be perfect in there. Great idea and inspiration.

Mel said...

How weird am I? I recognized your hubby's hands at Cassie's party. LOL

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i am sure it is going to make such a big difference when all done! the island will look awesome, too!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

It's going to be so gorgeous! I can't wait until it's all revealed:)

Candace said...

I can't wait to see the rest of your projects! We just bought a house in need of a lot of love including the bathroom vanity. I was thinking dark grey for it too. I'll be watching. Have a wonderful weekend!

Terry said...

So great. I adore beadboard and yours is so nice looking. Much more updated.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails