I've been reading pretty consistently lately and here's what I've read (and finished) over the last month or so.
First Lie Wins
This was a Reese Witherspoon pick and I really enjoyed it the twists and turns.
"Evie Porter has everything a nice Southern girl could want: a doting boyfriend, a house with a white picket fence, a tight group of friends. The only catch: Evie Porter doesn’t exist.
The identity comes first: Evie Porter. Once she’s given a name and location by her mysterious boss, Mr. Smith, she learns everything there is to know about the town and the people in it. Then the mark: Ryan Sumner. The last piece of the puzzle is the job.
Evie isn’t privy to Mr. Smith’s real identity, but she knows this job isn’t like the others. Ryan has gotten under her skin, and she’s starting to envision a different sort of life for herself. But Evie can’t make any mistakes—especially after what happened last time.
Evie Porter must stay one step ahead of her past while making sure there’s still a future in front of her. The stakes couldn’t be higher—but then, Evie has always liked a challenge. . . ."
I don't know where I got the recommendation for this book. It was different but not my favorite. I finished it so it kept me engaged at least.
"A semi famous artist announces her plan to drive cross-country, from LA to New York. Twenty minutes after leaving her husband and child at home, she spontaneously exits the freeway, beds down in a nondescript motel, and immerses herself in a temporary reinvention that turns out to be the start of an entirely different journey."
Actress of a Certain Age:My Twenty Year Trail To Overnight Success
This was an audio book for me and I think it added a lot to have it read in his voice. I loved it! Jeff Hiller is a favorite actor of mine from the show Somebody Somewhere on HBO. It made me want to re-watch the series.
"A humorous collection of autobiographical essays from comedian and Somebody Somewhere actor Jeff Hiller, who shares his journey from growing up “profoundly gay” in 1980s Texas to his experiences as an inept social worker and how he clawed, scraped, and brawled to Hollywood’s lower middle-tier.
While struggling to find success as an actor and pay the bills, something accidentally happened to Jeff he aged. And while it’s one thing to get older and rest on the laurels of success from the blood, sweat, and tears of your youth, it’s quite another to be old and have no laurels. At forty, stuck in a temp job making spreadsheets, the dream of becoming a star seemed out of reach. But after twenty-five years of guest roles on TV and performing improv in a grocery store basement, he finally struck gold with a breakout role on HBO’s Somebody Somewhere, playing Joel—the kind of best friend everyone wishes they had.
In his book, Jeff dives into the grit and grind of climbing the Hollywood ladder. It’s a raw and often hilarious tale of the struggles, triumphs, and humiliations that shaped him into the wonderfully imperfect person he is today. With a mix of awkward charm and heartfelt honesty, Jeff shares his growing up very Lutheran in Texas, navigating bullying as a gay kid, working as a social worker for unhoused youth and HIV prevention, and the endless ups and downs of being a struggling actor. For every one of us who have a dream that we’re chasing—and chasing, and chasing—his is a funny, moving, and utterly relatable story."
In his book, Jeff dives into the grit and grind of climbing the Hollywood ladder. It’s a raw and often hilarious tale of the struggles, triumphs, and humiliations that shaped him into the wonderfully imperfect person he is today. With a mix of awkward charm and heartfelt honesty, Jeff shares his growing up very Lutheran in Texas, navigating bullying as a gay kid, working as a social worker for unhoused youth and HIV prevention, and the endless ups and downs of being a struggling actor. For every one of us who have a dream that we’re chasing—and chasing, and chasing—his is a funny, moving, and utterly relatable story."
I'd seen this pop up on a few different recommendations and finally got a copy. It is gripping and intense and based on a real 18th century midwife from Maine.
City of Ghosts
I wanted to read something for the spooky season that wasn't too scary. This book was perfect and a cute read. I also loved that it was set in Edinburgh and it brought back all of the sweet memories of our trip....especially the visit to Greyfriar's Kirkyard cemetery on Halloween! There are two more books in the series and I will add them to my list.
"Ever since Cass almost drowned (okay, she did drown, but she doesn't like to think about it), she can pull back the Veil that separates the living from the dead...and enter the world of spirits. Her best friend is even a ghost.
So things are already pretty strange. But they're about to get much stranger..."
Shopgirls
My sister recommended this book and it was such a nostalgic read. I love anything set in the 80's and this was a fun one!
"Nineteen-year-old Zippy can hardly believe it: she's the newest and youngest salesgirl at I. Magnin, "San Francisco's Finest Department Store." Every week, she rotates her three spruced-up Salvation Army outfits and Vaseline-shined pumps; still, she's thrilled to walk those pumps through the employee entrance five days a week as she saves to buy something new. For a girl who grew up in a one-bedroom apartment above a liquor store with her mother and her mother's madcap boyfriend, Howard; a girl who wanted to go to college but had no help in figuring out how; I. Magnin represents a real chance for a better and more elegant life. Or, at the very least, a more interesting one.
Zippy may not be in school, but she's about to get an education that will stick with her for decades. Her fellow salesgirls (lifetime professionals) run the gamut from mean and indifferent to caring and helpful. The cosmetics ladies on the first floor share both samples and advice ("only date a man with a Rolex"); and her new roommate, Raquel, an ambitious lawyer, tells Zippy she can lose ten pounds easy if she joins Raquel in eating only every other day. Just when Zippy thinks she's getting a handle on how to be an adult woman in 1985, two surprises threaten both her sense of self and her coveted position at I. Magnin.
Set in the Day-Glo colors of 1980s San Francisco, Shopgirls is an intoxicating novel of self-discovery, outrageous fashion, and family both biological and found."
Zippy may not be in school, but she's about to get an education that will stick with her for decades. Her fellow salesgirls (lifetime professionals) run the gamut from mean and indifferent to caring and helpful. The cosmetics ladies on the first floor share both samples and advice ("only date a man with a Rolex"); and her new roommate, Raquel, an ambitious lawyer, tells Zippy she can lose ten pounds easy if she joins Raquel in eating only every other day. Just when Zippy thinks she's getting a handle on how to be an adult woman in 1985, two surprises threaten both her sense of self and her coveted position at I. Magnin.
Set in the Day-Glo colors of 1980s San Francisco, Shopgirls is an intoxicating novel of self-discovery, outrageous fashion, and family both biological and found."
In the Likely Event
This is the November book club selection. I had a hard time getting through this one and didn't like too much but I wanted to finish it so I could go to book club. It was kind of repetitive and predictable.
"When Izzy Astor gets on a plane to go home, she isn’t expecting much. It’s the usual holiday travel experience: busy, crowded, stressful.
Then she spots her seatmate, who is anything but ordinary. Nate Phelan sports dark hair, blue eyes, and a deliciously rugged charm that Izzy can’t resist. Their connection is undeniable. Izzy never believed in destiny before, but she does now.
Just ninety seconds after takeoff, their plane goes down in the Missouri River.
Their lives change. They change. Nate goes on to a career in the military while Izzy finds her way into politics. Despite a few chance encounters over the years, the timing never feels right.
Then comes a high-stakes reunion in Afghanistan, where Nate is tasked with protecting Izzy’s life.
He’ll do anything to keep her safe. And everything to win her heart."
Then she spots her seatmate, who is anything but ordinary. Nate Phelan sports dark hair, blue eyes, and a deliciously rugged charm that Izzy can’t resist. Their connection is undeniable. Izzy never believed in destiny before, but she does now.
Just ninety seconds after takeoff, their plane goes down in the Missouri River.
Their lives change. They change. Nate goes on to a career in the military while Izzy finds her way into politics. Despite a few chance encounters over the years, the timing never feels right.
Then comes a high-stakes reunion in Afghanistan, where Nate is tasked with protecting Izzy’s life.
He’ll do anything to keep her safe. And everything to win her heart."
Do you have any book recommendations?
* All synopses are from Goodreads.*
Please follow me!
Instagram @heather_ourlife



9 comments:
Oh...so many books and so little time as Fall gets busy. Thanks for sharing...several are already on my To Be Read list and I added some more of you picks. Happy Reading!
Shopgirls has my vote. Using the new blog until I can work out some technical difficulties.
rkrsrue.blogspot.com
Lots of great looking books on here! I read First Lie Wins and Frozen River and remember liking them both. I love a good celebrity memoir that I can listen to being voice by the actor/actress. I just listened to The Third Gilmore Girl this month and really enjoyed it; plus I had never seen the show Bunheads that she talked about so I gave it a shot.
Wow Heather, you've read so many books. I haven't read any of these but I'll add them to my list. I'm currently reading My Friens by Fredrick Backman and I am enjoying this book.
I’ve had The Frozen River on my TBR list for at least a year. I really need to prioritize it. First Lie Wins sounds intriguing!
Hii heather, We read Frozen River for book club. Reserving Actress of a Certain age! thank you!
The Lost Book Shop sounds good. :-)
I think these all sound like good books! I finished The Tattoist of Auschwitz last night and have started on Where They Last Saw Her. My book club chose American Psycho which I am not jazzed about, but will read. And don't get me started on all of the other books I have to catch up on, inbetween doing yard work and working...sigh...never enough reading time!
I haven't read any of these but I have read books by Yarros, Schwab and The Lost Bookshop is on my TBR. Looks like you read some good books.
Post a Comment