I made my first batch of Andes-style candies ten years ago! You can see the post here.
It's been quite awhile so I revisited the recipe when I found some vegan white chocolate chips that actually tasted good. The Walmart Great Value Organic white baking chips are delicious!
They are also free of the 8 major food allergens and artificial colors and flavors. yay!
Pin It
I remembered that the recipe made a lot so I cut it down a little.
Ingredients:
12 oz chocolate chips, separated (dark or semi sweet)
6 oz white chocolate chips
Peppermint oil (not extract)
Green food coloring (optional)
To make:
- Start by melting the chocolate in 3 separate oven safe bowls. I warmed the oven to 300ºF and set the bowls in the oven to melt the chocolate. Once they've melted, remove first bowl of chocolate from the oven and turn off the oven, leaving the white chocolate and second bowl of chocolate to keep warm.
- Use some melted chocolate to secure a piece of wax paper to the dish you're using to make the mints. Mine is approximately 8 x 8 inches.
- Stir up the first batch of melted chocolate until smooth, dropping in 3-5 drops of peppermint oil depending upon how minty you want it.
- Add to prepared dish, spreading carefully. Gently tap the dish to remove air bubbles. Put the dish in the freezer (I used my cold garage) to set. It only takes a few minutes.
- Repeat with the white chocolate layer, adding green food coloring to your liking (or skip the color). I added more peppermint oil to this layer but it's not necessary.
- Quickly chill and then add the final chocolate mint layer, chilling again until matte, not glossy.
- Cut into squares with a sharp knife. Some may break apart but they still taste great!
- Store in an air tight container. I think they'd be fun for Valentine's Day with a red layer!











10 comments:
No way!! So cool and easy!
Wow! Heather your mints came out so nice looking. Thanks for sharing how to make them. These are perfect for giving out for the holidays and even St. Patrick's Day.
I’m so excited for this recipe! I just love these mints!
Just created a Vegan Pinterest board for these Heather! Yummy!
laura
Oh wait, just re-read and noticed your "not extract." Can I get Peppermint oil at Trader Joe's?
laura
Wow, so easy for such a yummy treat.
YUM!!! I am pinning!
Wow.. those look incredible.
Those mints are so dang pretty too! WOW girl! My youngest daughter loves those kind of mints. But she's a mom of two littles so I doubt she will be making any. LOL! Not showing her this post though cause she will want to me make some. LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy
These look SO good! Next Christmas!!!! Now I have your infamous recipe!
Post a Comment