Friday, December 31, 2010

{Recipe} Homemade Andes Mints

When I saw Ashlee's instructions for making  homemade Andes mints, I thought it would make a great holiday treat to make and give out.  I have been on a chocolate mint kick lately, seen here and here.
We only needed a few ingredients. I couldn't find high quality candy melts so I just used Wilton's brand that I found at my local Michael's.  I used two bags of dark chocolate and one bag of the green (vanilla). 

I had to find peppermint oil, not extract.  The flavoring has to be oil based so it mixes with the chocolate  candy melts.  I also bought some almond oil and luckily I had an unused dropper on hand for measuring it out.  A jelly roll pan and wax paper are all you need.

Start by melting each layer of candy melts in their own oven safe bowl.  Turn the oven to warm and leave them in there for 20 minutes.  Take out the first layer and turn off the oven, leaving the other layers in the oven to keep warm. This is a great way to melt chocolate!
This was a neat trick!  Use a little melted chocolate in each corner to hold the wax paper in place.

Add your flavoring now. We added about 7 drops of peppermint oil to the first layer and stir it in.

Quickly spread the melted chocolate over the wax paper in the pan.

Bang the pan around the smooth out the chocolate.

When the chocolate turns from shiny to matte, it's time for the next layer.

We repeated the steps with the green layer. 

See how the brown is mixing in with the green, it wasn't quite ready for the next layer. This was our first attempt. It really didn't make much difference in the finished product.

With the last layer we added some almond oil.

Stopping for a taste test!

No green peaking through!

Letting it set up until it turns matte is important before you cut into squares.
The moment of truth when we started cutting it with a sharp knife. We could see the layers!! 

Cut into squares and store in an air tight container.
Makes a lot and we think it tastes better than real Andes mints!
Linking up with:
Pin It

22 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh yum. Your photography is amazing.
Visiting from the blog hop.
Hope you had a Merry Christmas and have the best 2011 ever.
Nancy
http://discoverdirectselling.blogspot.com/

Mel said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again; if I lived with you I'd be huge!

Gosh those look god and mint chocolate is one of my faves.

Happy New Year Heather! Thanks for your friendship throughout the year, for inspiring me with your great projects and recipes and for being such a warm and wonderful person.

Mel

ghostwritermummy said...

YUM!! I will be trying these asap!! Great blog, found you via bloggy moms!
XxX

Cheeky Momma said...

Those look delicious!

I'm your newest follower and would love for you to stop by and follow me back!

Happy New Year from Being Frugal & Making It Work!

Norwegian Phoenix said...

Stopping by to follow you from the Ring in 2011 Blog Hop. Have a wonderful New Year!
Adelaide from http://norwegianphoenix.blogspot.com/


These look amazing! I'll definitely have to try these soon.

Marissa said...

those look AWESOME!!!

Happy New Year to you and your family :)

Mandy said...

I am your newest follower. Following from the New Year blog hop. Have a great 2011. All the best for a prosperous new year.

Mommies and Beyond said...

Hello. visiting from the ring in 2011 blog hop! Please visit & follow @ http://www.mommiesandbeyond.comn I would love to reach 200 fans before 2011! Happy New Year!

Day 2 Day Living said...

Those look delicious! I'm gonna try making that. I have been wanting to make chocolate covered pretzels but didn't know how I was going to melt the chocolate...but I will do it in the oven now!

denkli said...

I am your newest follower from Ring In 2011 Blog Hop!!
Please follow me back at http://denkli-satisfyyoursenses.blogspot.com Thanks!

Life in Rehab said...

I love chocolate mint, and you make this look like a cinch!

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

I LOVE it! We'll definitely be making these at our house. Thanks for linking to Whatcha Got Wednesday!

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Looks yummy! Well done.

The Tablescaper said...

Yumm. These look great!

Thanks so much for linking to Seasonal Sunday. Kindly add a link back to Seasonal Sundays so the viewers can enjoy all of the participants.

- The Tablescaper

Jenny Harris said...

Mmmm, this looks yummy!

Karen said...

My adult daughters wanted to make these @ Christmas, but I'm sure they will find an excuse to make 'em now, too. lol Stopping by from seasonal Sundays. blessings on your day!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Boy am I impressed! These look wonderful, and I love mint and chocolate together. YUM!

Happy Seasonal Sunday to you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Jeanie said...

Great idea. Where'd you get the oils?

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

@Jeanie I found the oils at a specialty kitchen store. Here's their website info

http://fantes.com/flavors.html

thewaytohisheart said...

These look great! I've been wanting to make these and your post is just the kick in the butt I needed!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

Oh how I wish I had not seen these, now I want to try them!

carolinaheartstrings said...

These look so yummy. You make it look very easy. Come visit us. We have a terrific pretzel Heath bark and we are giving away a party dress from Shabby Apple. Contest ends tomorrow. Check out that post and register to win.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails