I've tried a few different vegan "meat" loaves but I think I've found the best one ever. It reminds me of more traditional meatloaves I've had and it holds its shape nicely when slicing it up (great for sandwiches!) *Tip: It needs a cup of cooked split peas so make them ahead of time (or add to your prep time).
Ingredients:
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 14 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups portobello mushrooms
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup cooked split peas
2 TBS ground flax seed
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
Wet Ingredients:
6 TBS tomato paste
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
2 TBS soy sauce (or similar)
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
To make:
- Line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Set large bowl aside your food processor.
- Add chickpeas to food processor and pulse a few times, breaking up but not pureeing. Put into bowl.
- Add 1/3 of the mushrooms to food processor, pulse a few times and add to bowl. Repeat two more times with remaining mushrooms.
- Place rolled oats into food processor and grind into a flour, measure out 1 cup and add to bowl (save or discard remaining oat flour).
- Add cooked green split peas, onion, ground flax seed,sage, salt and pepper to bowl (not vital wheat gluten).
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Mix wet ingredients together in small bowl, set aside.
- Mix all of the ingredients in the large bowl. Add vital wheat gluten and mix then add the wet ingredients immediately to the bowl and mix.
- Pack into prepared pan and press down firmly but not packed down too hard.
- Bake at 400F for 40 minutes and let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan with parchment paper and serve. It's really good with some gravy and faux-tatoes.

Easy Cauliflower Mashed Faux-tatoes--I discovered a quick new way to make mashed cauliflower when I only had vanilla almond milk in the house.
Microwave a bag of frozen cauliflower and drain off any additional liquid. Put cauliflower in a high speed blender or food processor. Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper and 1-2 TBS of Vegan Cannellini Bean Sour Cream into blender. Mix until smooth and serve. So creamy and good!
Instagram @heather_ourlife
Twitter @ourlifeinaclick
Facebook @ourlifeinclick
Pin It




3 comments:
Hi Heather, what a great alternative from eating regular meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I'm pinning this and thanks.
Julie xo
I love mashed cauliflower!
This is making me hungry! I’m sitting at the orthodontist and starving for this! I’m going to pin!
Post a Comment