Friday, July 2, 2010

{Recipe} 4th of July Shortcake

For Memorial Day weekend, I posted my all-American New England Clam Chowder recipe.
Here's something sweet for your 4th of July. I made this last year and took the photos pre-blog.  I make my shortcake the way my grandmother did (no spongey store bought shells for us).
It's basically a sweet baking powder biscuit*. Cut the warm biscuit in half and add your fruit. We used a mix of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
Even better with homemade whipped cream!

Somebody's pretty happy with it!

What's your favorite 4th of July recipe?

Blogger Templates


Recipe:
4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 stick of butter
1 beaten egg
1 1/4 cup milk

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Chop butter into little pieces and cut into the flour mixture until it gets crumbly.  Beat in the egg and milk.
Grease two baking sheets and drop four biscuits onto each sheet. Bake @ 400F until golden brown (about 15 minutes).  Try to eat them while they are still warm. Add fruit and whipped cream. You can enjoy them whole or slice the top off and have two shortcakes! Makes eight large shortcakes.


Linking up with:
friday-follow
Smart and Trendy Moms
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up    party!New Friend Fridays
Sweet Shot Day



Pin It

22 comments:

Dana @ The Coupon Challenge said...

Thanks for stopping by-I'm your newest follower!

Show Me Mama said...

I am your new follower. Cool site you have here. You can visit me at http://showmemama.blogspot.com

Happy Friday!

Life in Rehab said...

That's the only way to make them! And I love the freckles on that child.

Tessa said...

Hi, I'm now a new follower of yours from Social Parade Friday. That shortbread looks DELISH!!!

Happy Friday,
-Shopper Gal

http://www.shoppergal.com/

Mitzi said...

Love your site! Coming to you from FF - Will definitely be back! Have an awesome weekend!

I am Harriet said...

Hi there.
Stopping by from Friday-Follow to say hello.
Thanks for playing.
Have a great day!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/07/i-tend-to-go-for-ordinary-people-friday-following/

Petie said...

Looks yum! Isn't it funny how mixing a few food colors together can be so festive. Have a great 4th weekend!

Cottage Sisters said...

Thanks for stopping by. I would be pretty happy too, if I was eating shortcake.....it looks delcious! Have a great day! Denise@cottagesisters

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Thanks everybody and I'll be following you back later. Time to go pick some more berries!1

Sunny...aren't the freckles great? She doesn't have them right now because it's still early! Thanks for noticing!! :)

Heather said...

I want that for breakfast right now! Looks wonderful...
and for dessert I'll have that chocolate/hazelnut ice cream you made the other day. Y-U-M!

Lauren said...

found you from follow fridays!!!!

have a happy 4th!!

Rita said...

Hi Heather, your recipe looks yummy. I prefer my shortcake with sweet biscuits as well. I first had it at Cheesecake Factory and was hooked...yummy. Healthier to make on your own though. ;) Anyhow, I am a new GFC follower from Social Parade. Hope you can stop by my blog - http://www.measmom.com. Thanks, Rita

Michelle Faith said...

Got to love shortcake yummy! Hi, I'm a new follower from FF...I love meeting new blogging friends...Have a save happy 4th.

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

This looks and sounds delicious...I am definitely going to give it a try!

I popped over from Marty's to say hello...your blog is lovely and I look forward to following along!

Happy 4th!
Cathy

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh, that looks so yummy. I would love some too.
I am also thrilled to hear you will be joining the Cloche Party. They are always so much fun. Can't wait to see what you've done. Hugs, Marty

Heavenly Savings said...

Cute Blog! I’m a new follower Happy Friday!! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Thanks!
http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com
I also have a blog hop every Monday! I’d love for you to join!

Hazel said...

This looks delicious!! YUM!! Following from Social Parade :) Hazel

Yellow House said...

You are so creative, Heather! Baking, decorating, photography, travel... you do it all! I love strawberry shortcake...well, any berries really. I might save this recipe for my husband's birthday next weekend. :)

Mel said...

You have the best food everrrr! I'd weigh 7000 lbs. if I lived with you.

Chelsey - The Paper Mama said...

My favorite 4th of July recipe is anything bbq'd. I just feel like I need it for the holiday!

Thank you so much for the kind words about my birth story. It's really helped just to write it all out. :)

Jami said...

That looks so yummy!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

diXymiss said...

Mmmm, yummy! Looks so fresh and delicious ~ especially with the colorful miX of fresh berries.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails