Monday, May 31, 2010

{Recipe} New England Clam Chowder

In honor of Memorial Day weekend, here's the perfect all-American recipe!
I make this hearty cream soup for many of our parties and get togethers. It's my most often requested recipe. So here it is!! My recipe is adapted from the Gooseberry Patch: Welcome Home for the Holidays cookbook.  This makes a lot an I usually double it for a big crowd.

                                                          Ingredients:
Peel and cube 4-6 large potatoes
Chop 4-5 stalks of celery

and one onion(I like Vidalia)

Combine vegetables in a stock pot and pour the liquid from the three cans of minced clams over them. Note: I like using minced clams because I don't like big chewy pieces of clams in my soup.  Add water to just cover the vegetables.

 Bring to a boil and then simmer with the lid partially off of the pot to allow steam to escape. Cook until fork tender.

Meanwhile, melt a stick and a half of butter in another pan, add 3/4 cup of flour to the melted butter and cook, stirring constantly.
Add 1 quart of half and half and whisk it all together.


Keep whisking until it thickens.
If the vegetables are ready(and they should be) combine them with the cream mixture now.  Add in the clams and season with salt, pepper & celery seed.
I add a splash of balsmic vinegar and a few drops of hot sauce as well.

Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.  It's ready, but even better the next day!!   Keep it warm in a crock pot with some oyster crackers and a pepper grinder nearby and you'll have them lining up!

What's your most requested recipe?

Linking up with:
http://santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com/2010/05/marketing-monday-blog-hop_31.html
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!http://fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.com/2010/06/white-wednesday-50.html
Pin It

10 comments:

Life in Rehab said...

Oooooo, I'm glad I saw this before I hit the grocery store!

Life in Rehab said...

By the way, you got props on today's post. I did your birdbath!

Mel said...

oh my, I can smell it all the way from up here. Delicious.

Yellow House said...

Looks amazing! Might need to make some myself!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Now this does look delicious! Just perfect for my summer tureen (thanks for the visit)

Charla said...

Yum! I cant wait to make this!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Oh my!!! That looks so good...and I JUST had dinner!!!

32˙North said...

That's a great recipe - thanks for sharing!

Amanda

~~Carol~~ said...

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! New England Clam Chowder has always been one of my absolute favorites. And the recipe looks easy, so it's right up my alley!
Happy WW!
Carol

Jackie said...

Oh I can't wait till we get another cold spell it is in the triple digits right now, but I love clam chowder and the only time to get it here in vegas is on friday night at seafood buffet night and I like to go to dinner a little nicer on my friday night date night!! haha, can't wait to try this recipe!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails