Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Do you know the way to CSA?

Are you part of a CSA(Community Supported Agriculture) Farm?   CSA's have been around for about 20 years as a way for consumers to buy local seasonal foods directly from the farmers.  You get to buy a 'share' from your particular CSA that usually consists of in season fruits and vegetable.  My sister and her family were going away and offered us the opportunity to go pick up their share for the week and see if we'd be interested in trying a CSA next year. Shares can sell out quickly so you need to sign up early
.
We were experiencing a brutal heatwave so we were a little less than thrilled to be outside at a farm at the peak of the heat but hubby, eldest and I headed out to give it a go.

Our instructions were to check in at the Harvest House and there were some helpers there to make sure we knew what to do.  It was actually really easy (and not that hot!).

We were able to pick out 6 different 'units' to make up their share. For example:
2 heads of lettuce=1 unit
We ended up choosing a mix of regular and lemon cucumbers, a pound of carrots, 2 different kinds of lettuce, 3 onions and 3 different kinds of squash.

We walked around the farm a little bit.
Here's a bit of the herb garden, you can also pick herbs and cut flowers.

The chickens are happy to see you too.



Lots of pretty crops. We decided not to do any of the you-pick stuff due to the heat (and had just picked all of this.)

Our gorgeous bounty!

It made a great addition to our meal. We roasted the squash and onions while making a salad out of the lettuces, cukes and carrots...all fresh farm picked and delicious.

So are you involved in a CSA? What do you think?
Blogger Templates
Linking up with:
http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/

Pin It

21 comments:

Terry said...

I am following you from Welcome Wednesday.

Hope you stop over and follow me back.
http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/

Dearheart Designs said...

Hi, I am a new follower from Welcome Wednesday. I love your photos!

http://dearheartdesigns.blogspot.com

so kikay said...

Following you from Welcome Wednesday!

Have a nice day!

http://sokikay.blogspot.com

Life in Rehab said...

I don't think we have one of those near us, but your photos sure make me wish we did!

Larri @ Seams Inspired said...

I only wish I had a CSA near me! I keep looking though. I'm following you from Welcome Wednesday. I'm planning a trip to Disney and looking forward to reading your posts. Happy Wednesday! :o)

www.seamsinspired.com

RenderMeMama said...

Love it! We just recently started supporting a farm local to us again too and you just can't beat the fresh veggies and meat!

Following from Welcome Wednesday! Come by and check out my blog and follow back!

Amy @ Rendermemama.blogspot.com

Kelley said...

I am now following your blog via Welcome Wednesday! I enjoyed visiting your blog & am looking forward to following your posts. As a Farm Wife, I appreciated your post on supporting local farmers. Have a great day! =)
~Kelley
http://labellabasketswithkelle.blogspot.com (Gift Basket Giveaway Going On Now!)
http://inkelleyskitchen.blogspot.com

Shining 2 Save said...

Hi! I am your newest follower from Welcome Wednesday! I look forward to reading your blog. Have a great day!

http://shining2save.blogspot.com

Jessica Warrick said...

following from the blog hop

Tina Peterson said...

I'm not in a CSA - being single it's just not cost effective and I'd waste too much of it. =(

I'm following from WW, would LOVE to have you follow me!

Tina "The Book Lady"
http://www.familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com
http://www.givingnsharing.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

Wonderful, such pretty colors too, almost too pretty to eat! Welcome home Heather, I sure am glad to be back! Debbie

Java said...

No we don't have one of those but I wish we did! Those veggies look awesome! Yum!!!!

Shelley Germann said...

Great post. I don't belong to a CSA because for the most part, we grow enough for ourselves. They are a great idea, though.

Marissa said...

Wow, we'll have to look into this because our family eats LOTS of fresh fruits and veggies, why not support our local farmers?! What a great post! Thanks for sharing :)

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

How neat!!! I love fresh veggies straight from the farm. It looks like you had a great little getaway!
Bonnie :)

Val said...

All looks so wonderful!!!

Sherry said...

Very nice! The produce looks great!
Sherry

g.suzie said...

That is interesting, we live in a farm community so we always have 'farmers markets' on the weekend. People bring fresh produce to sell. . . Your produce looks yummy!

Sherri said...

Looks like fun and what a healthy way to eat! Right from the farm! The veggies look so perfect! Happy Outdoor Wednesday! Sherri : )

Linda said...

We don't have that here so we can support the small farms by buying from the local farmer's market. I love that idea though.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Lovely fields and a wonderful bounty.
Nothing beats veggies fresh from the garden

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails