Saturday, September 4, 2010

Pantry Makeover at Two Price Points: $0 and $22

My poor, neglected pantry.  It holds all of our non-refrigerated food, our liquor stash as well as baking, cake decorating and candy making necessities.  Yes, I said necessities!


and all of my cookbooks.

We hadn't really touched it since we moved in and filled it up.  It's a pantry closet and not very big but it sure looks like it holds a lot when you put it all out on your kitchen table.
Yikes! 
We started out by taking out all of the shelves and giving it a fresh coat of paint. The paint was leftover from our powder room project (Benjamin Moore Greenwich Pumpkin).  I wanted a darker color that wouldn't show a lot of scuff marks.

Ahhh...so much better!

The shelves were my biggest worry. They were covered with vinyl floor covering and it was nailed on(WTH?). This was the main reason it took us so long to tackle the project.
Happy Dance! The vinyl came off fairly easily!

They got a coat of white trim paint to freshen them up.

The shelves went back in and it was looking better already!

So in case you are keeping track, we've spent a whopping total of $0.00 so far!! 
 I wanted to get a little more organized but the kitchen table chaos was getting to me so I just put everything away and tried to make it neat.  At his point, it was an improvement over the old scuffed up walls and vinyl covered shelves but I knew I could do better.



I needed some inspiration! I remembered a post that Jen over at IHeartOrganizing  had done about pantry basics and some inexpensive stackable bins that she uses all over her house.  I found some at Target and got to to work. I did a a switcheroo on the baking and cereal/snack shelves. Since we don't bake every day(shocker, I know), I moved them down one shelf and the things we use on a daily basis up to eye level.


I used a bigger bin to hold all of my baking supplies and mixes.

These two shelves get the most "action" and are the most convenient to reach.
My kids like to read the cereal boxes in the morning so I left them in their boxes(the cereal, not the kids) rather than putting them in clear cereal keepers. A small concession, I'd say.

Chip clips in a jar.
On the top shelf I also added our coffee syrups and unopened foods.


My cookbooks are on the next shelf down.
This narrow bin works well for small boxes and other packets.

I made some labels for the bins and mounted them on pumpkin scrapbook paper.

Then I laminated them and attached them to the basket with Velcro.



I switched out the old plastic bag holder on the back of the door (left by previous owners) for a much more attractive Longaberger basket that was not being used.
The bins and laminating sheets ran me about $22 and I feel so much more organized for such a small investment. 

Side by side comparison.


It feels so nice to have this space organized and I'm no longer embarrassed to open the door if we have company over. What are you working on?

Linking up with:
MarketingMondaysNew Friend FridaysUndertheTableandDreaming






Sweet Shot Day










Show and Tell Green



HOG
Pin It

37 comments:

Mel said...

Is there such a thing as pantry envy, because I now have it :)

Fantastic update for so little cash.

Sigh, I'm the most unorganized person I know.

Julie Harward said...

WOW..this looks so nice! I love the color you chose to paint it and what a lot of work but what a pay off...just great! :D

Nicole said...

It looks great!! Feel free to come organize mine next!!

Life in Rehab said...

You kill me. This looks so much better! Excellent redo, and you know I'm hyperventilating at the price.

Yellow House said...

It looks wonderful! Way to go! I am coming by to say hello -- it's been way too long! Hope the end of your summer has been wonderful. Is it back to school time yet in your house?

Megan Whitney said...

It looks awesome! I've seen so many amazing panty makeovers lately that it has inspired me to re-do mine! got the paint today...definitely excited! :) Thanks for sharing!

Charla said...

Can I just borrow you for a few weeks at my house....PLEASEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Great looking pantry..love it!

JIll said...

It looks great and makes me want to hurry up and get busy on our closet that I have been putting off for a while now. Thanks for taking part in Sunday Show and Tell.

Mama to a Sweet Thing said...

wow!! looks great! i would love to do something like that with our pantry!

Thanks for linking up on SST!

Ellie said...

Hey, the pantry looks great! It sure feels good to be organized. Found your blog through Sunday Showcase.

Colleen (Shibley Smiles) said...

Very nice I need to hire you to do that to my closet.

Thanks for linking up at Relax and Surf Sunday! I'm following you.

Colleen
www.shibleysmiles.com

Jamarah Crafty Creations said...

Love your ideas. Will have to do the same in our kitchen. New follower via Monday Blog hop. Lover your blog.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Great job! I really need to work on our pantry some more. It's *ok* but it's not great. i think I need to look for those stackable bins, and label them, too! That would help things.

Dallas Wahm said...

Following you now from the Meet Me Monday blog hop via Inspiring you 2 save. Happy Labor Day.

Amber@Nater Tot said...

Hi Heather! I'm visiting (& following) from MM. The pantry looks great! What an improvement. I love that pumpkin paint color. And your little labels are adorable. Excellent job!

Danielle Harper said...

wow, i love your pantry..... we have a galley style kitchen so no room for a pantry...:( i'm a new follower, hoping you will come check out my blog too.
http://happeningsoftheharperhousehold.blogspot.com/

Susan said...

Love your "new" pantry. I must do something with mine really soon ;o)

Pat said...

Waaaaay too pretty to be a pantry!Great job! You have inspired all of us!

Alana in Canada said...

Fabulous makeover! I've a few shelves which could do with your wonderful touch. Cute labels, too!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

It looks fabulous Heather! You did an amazing job! Good for you to tackle that flooring nailed to the shelves...that would have stopped me in my tracks! Angie xo

Sofia said...

Great transformation! Found you over @ Monday Mingle! I'm your new follower. Come visit and follow back!
Sofia
http://frompdxwithlove.com

Kansas Amy said...

Awesome makeover! You did a terrific job!!

Alice @ Just Alice said...

That's a great make over! I wouldn't have the guts to choose a darker wall color, but I don't have a light (who's brilliant idea was that?) in my pantry (or my coat closet for that matter.) But you're looks so warm and welcoming.

iheartorganizing said...

Wow Heather, I am SO impressed. It looks AMAZING!

Can I share on my blog, please please please, as an upcoming Reader Space? I am drooling!

And my heart is racing for all those containers and labels! Yes please!

IHEART this post!

xoxo,
Jen

Chelsea@ThisFreshFossil said...

Wow! Great job! We tackled our office area this past weekend... and ohmygosh, I felt like I was on an episode of Hoarders! There was so much... I can't believe we let it get that bad. Thankfully we were able to purge most things, and organize and store the rest. Can you believe I found 4 phone books in that mess? Besides that fact that we've only lived in our house for a little over a year (4 phonebooks in that time?!), we don't even use phonebooks! Ack. Anyways, doesn't it feel so much better to be organized? You did a great job on your pantry! Let's hope it stays that way! ;)

~Chelsea

Kimberlee said...

Wow! It did look awesome just after the paint on the walls and shelves. Love the containers you used too!
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.blogspot.com

Susan said...

OK, I'm really IMPRESSED. Makes me want to do a makeover too.

GREAT job!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

This looks amazing! I know it must feel great to have this all done!
My favorite part? Silly, I know, but it's your chip clip jar! So simple! Going to copy that one!

Bella said...

Hey Heather, what a great before and after. I love the price too, woo hoo. I thought my pantry was small, gosh, way to go fitting everything in there. The paint job, was amazing at making it look new and fresh. I redid my pantry a few weeks ago you should check it out for more helpful tips on cramming a ton of stuff in a small pantry,,, he he, but unfortunately I did not paint mine or get cute bins. Really made due with what I had. Hopefully I will redo it again soon, and make it cute this time, as opposed to just more functional. If you are up to one more party, I have started hosting a NEW one, so I would love to have you link up. Thanks again, love your new pantry!!

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

Looks great...all spiffy and organized! I see you are also a fan of Gooseberry Patch Cookbooks. I can’t get enough of them! I love their give from the kitchen cookbook.

Kendra aka “Domestic Princess in Training”

Jenn @ WestSacHoney said...

Ah heaven! That looks great! My pantry is a DISASTER right now I totally need to do this!

Melissa said...

$22 that's amazing! I love what you did with your pantry. Thanks for sharing.

Meg said...

So much better! I feel calmer just looking at your organized space! Great job.

Thank you for linking up to my Friday link party! Hope to see you back this Friday, too!

Stephanie@cre8tive said...

Heather, that looks so nice! It is just getting the family members to put things back as they were is the problem right? I noticed that I am hovering over everyone when they go to put something away in my pantry now that I have organized it. LOL Thanks for stopping my blog and leaving such a nice comment, yours is just as stunning!

Biz said...

I love that paint color.
The labels you made are genius!
Biz
http://busybizblogs.blogspot.com/

The Scott's Crib said...

I really like this! So are the laminate sheets something that can be brought like in Walmart or Target? That's an awesome idea:)

Megan said...

Such a great makeover! Thanks for linking up!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails