Day 6
This was a jam packed day for us. We had a full day of sightseeing planned with our gang. One of them had planned our whole itinerary which was wonderful! This was another view from our room.
We had to make a decision about our flight out on Sunday night because it looked like it would probably be cancelled (this was Friday morning). We re-booked our flights before picking up our rental car (another Jeep!) and were running late with the group.
They were leaving Green World Coffee Farm as we got there so we said we'd meet up with them at the next stop. We grabbed a quick coffee and a look around before heading out to meet at stop #2.
Stop #2 was the Dole Plantation. We spent some time looking around the grounds and the store (where I found my cute pineapple socks).
We *had* to try the Dole Whip here. They have a self serve kiosk system and you can pick all kinds of toppings. We shared one with raspberry sauce. It was good but I think Disney does it better!
We purchased tickets for the Pineapple Express Train Tour.
It was a fun 20 minute train journey through the plantation and very interesting.The scenery was breathtaking.
If you zoom in on this photo, you can see the baby pineapples growing in the field. It was so cool!
They get you at the beginning for a professional photo. It cracks me up!
Our next stop was the food trucks for lunch on the way to the North Shore and this was the only photo that I took. Chickens everywhere, just like in Kauai! We had a nice outdoor lunch and the food prices were super reasonable. It's a good idea to get off of the resort areas and try the places that the locals eat.
Our next stop was the Banzai Pipeline surfing area at the Ehukai Beach Park on the North Shore. We parked on the street and found an entrance to the beach. Nothing is marked so you just have to look for beach access.
Our next stop was the Banzai Pipeline surfing area at the Ehukai Beach Park on the North Shore. We parked on the street and found an entrance to the beach. Nothing is marked so you just have to look for beach access.
{not my photo, someone else in our group captured this shot!}
From November-March it is extremely dangerous to swim here but perfect for brave surfers. I could watch them all day. They were setting up stands for a competition so the conditions were perfect. We were chatting with a surfer from South Africa and asking how they knew when to take on a wave, he said there's a line out there and locals have preference.
The sand was very deep and rough.
Our final stop was at the Waimea Valley to go see the Waimea Falls and attend the Toa Luau.
Waimea Falls is a 45 foot waterfall.
There are lifeguards and life jackets if you care to swim at the bottom. We skipped this part and took the hike back to the visitor center.
We took our time and enjoyed the botanical gardens. I thought these Acanthaceae flowers were so vibrant.
We were encouraged to learn some Hawaiian crafts and games and were treated to a cooking demonstration and an amazing tree climbing demonstration.
We really enjoyed the show and learning about the Polynesian culture.
Of course Mr. Click made a friend!
Are you still with me? Phew, that was a LONG day but a good one!
Linking up:

8 comments:
You packed in so much in one day! The pineapple tour looks neat. Your treat there look really good- yum! Those waves at the beach!! Great pics of the surfer/water. And that hike to the waterfall- just so pretty plus all the lush flora and fauna. What a day!
What a day! Loved the Lava Flow!
What a busy and full day had, and the luau looked very entertaining. Looks like so much fun - I would have been ready for a Lava Flow, too!
I loved your full day.
I have a little bromeliad, I wonder if it will grow as big as the ones in Hawaii. Ha Ha!
The pineapple express train would be fun for me, I love to see how things are planted and grow.
I might be brave and swim to the waterfall. I use to swim in lakes all the time, but now I do not like it, I think something will get me. Hee Hee!
Looks like a great day.
Wow! What a fun-packed day! The lava flow is so cool. And all the flowers, so pretty. The luau looked wonderful. I loved all your outfits for the special occasion. We loved visiting the islands. Aloha!
So glad to hear you think Disney does Dole Whips better as my husband was so disappointed to be so close and yet not get one; those are his favorite Disney treats! I had read that about all Hawaiian luau's- that the entertainment was great but the food was mostly just okay. It looks like you had such a packed day! We had a blast watching the surfers on the North side of Maui too. I wouldn't have stepped a food in the water the waves were so big (there was a storm off the coast when we were there)!
Heather, what a great but jam packed day. The Dole plantation looks so fun and it is just so pretty there. I hope to visit Hawaii again.
Post a Comment