Friday, August 8, 2025

Costco Hydrangeas & Holiday Birthday Party

 Did you know you can order bulk flowers from Costco?  I didn't know about them until I saw some Tiktoks about them.

We were hosting a birthday party for Mr. Click so I thought it was a good time to try them out.  You can pick your delivery date so I picked a date a few days before I needed them (just in case they weren't on time).  They arrived on that day looking like this-- a little smushed together but ok.
I followed the advice I also found on Tiktok for the biggest, longest lasting blooms. I immediately put them in a tub of cool water for an hour.  This helped them perk up a lot. 
I then shook off the excess water, cut the stems on a diagonal and dipped them in alum powder  (found it in the spice aisle at the supermarket) before putting them in a big bucket of water until I was ready to arrange them.
I got so many bouquets and arrangements out of 2 dozen stems.  I added some flags since we were celebrating the birthday over 4th of July weekend.
On the day of the party I had both indoor and outdoor arrangements.
I made my first balloon arch/swag from Dollar Tree balloons and balloon tape. I was pretty proud of it!
We set up the food inside. The menu was a baked potato bar with toppings, New England clam chowder and veggie chili.  City Girl #1 also made our  favorite Vegan Kale Caesar Salad.
Some shots of the pool area before the party.
My thrifted tray from this post held more hydrangeas and sparklers.
The calm before the party.
We set up some snacks outside on the tables and used our wedding cocktail napkins as basket liners.
My outfit for the pool party.  Thrifted shorts from here and swim suit from here.
City Girl #2 made the birthday boy's favorite White Chocolate Chip Fruit Tart.  He always asks for this instead of a birthday  cake.
The leftover summer fruit made a delicious fruit salad too.
We also made a batch of "slutty brownies" (chocolate chip cookie dough layered under Oreos and brownie mix).   So good!
The hydrangeas still looked great a few days later and I made one big bouquet of what was left and gave them to my neighbor because we were leaving for vacation.  She loved them!  


Please follow me! 


Pin It

12 comments:

R's Rue said...

Love those flowers

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Marilyn said...

I love the hydrangeas! Those brownies sound amazing too. Have a good weekend!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I love hydrangeas and got to love that they came from Costco! The menu sounds so nice and I love that pool. It sounds like a wonder bday celebration!

Carla from The River said...

Awesome Heather, you did great with the hydrangeas.
Slutty Brownies ... me oh my!! ;-) I want to try a little taste.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Looks like a fun celebration. I love the tips for preserving the flowers. In fact, I have a container of alum that I was about to discard. If I got this right you add it to flower water. How much? Your outfit is really cute!

Amy Johnson said...

What gorgeous flowers! Love your outfit too. Looks like you put together a wonderful party. The fruit salad looks so yummy.

Laura | Everyday Edits said...

Hi Heather! So many great ideas! The brownies and the fruit dessert! And the floral tip from Costco. I need to look into that! Love allof this and the balloon arch! xo laura

Laura | Everyday Edits said...

Yummy desserts and so many great ideas in this post! checking out the flowers online! xo laura

Joanne said...

Those blooms are fabulous! I love all the arrangements you were able to make. It looks like you threw a wonderful party.

Ann said...

What a celebration ! Everything - including the flowers - looked so nice. Food sounded great...and I love that you used the napkins from your wedding. LOL...I have few left from our wedding in 1977 and try to use them on our anniversary. We will be away for our 49th and 50th and I think I will pack some in to use on our trip! So glad you had a great party - you can tell you enjoyed getting ready for it, too!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails