Tuesday, August 5, 2025

Starting My Perennial Garden & How It's Going

 I (mostly) waited a year before starting a garden in our new home. I wanted to see what, if any flowers we had in the beds to start with (we had none!).  We have one larger area in the front but it's got a few trees in it so there isn't a lot of room for flowers.  I planted some anyway because it definitely needs some color.

I ordered the Summer Dreams Pre-Planned Garden from High Country Gardens.  I wanted flowers that worked together, needed full sun, were critter resistant and were low maintenance.  It came with with 11 plants and we planted everything over Memorial Day weekend.
   
This little area was starting to really show progress in June.  In it, we have:

1)Karl Foerster Feather Reed Grass
2) Purple Coneflower
3) Fireworks Golden Rod
4)Wicita Mountains Form Wild Bergamot
Here's how it's looking now.  I've probably planted them too close together but that's a problem for later.
I'm just happy (and kind of surprised) that they are doing so well!

The bees are loving it too.

This reed grass is getting really tall.
In another area of that bed, we have Gold Sturm Black Eyed Susan and Blue Fortune Hummingbird Mint.
Black Eyed Susans are one of my favorite summer flowers.
I'm still waiting for a hummingbird!

In another bed we planted Crystal Peak White Obedient Plant and Purple Dome New England Aster.
The Obedient Plant has really thrived.
The asters have been a little slower but they are starting to look promising.  Two of the plants that I ordered didn't survive so the company is replacing them and sending them in September when they should be planted.
I did plant some hydrangeas last year that we got as a gift from friends. This one is looking so healthy! 
One of them didn't survive because it got too much sun so I planted a second one in our side yard garden to replace it.   We also have a Knock Out Rose bush that we're hoping will thrive.   I'm excited to see how it all looks this fall and next summer. It's a start!


Please follow me! 


'













Pin It

10 comments:

Nancy said...

What beautiful flowers you have planted! Many are pollinators as well. Your hydrangea is gorgeous!
You will enjoy your flowers for many summers to come.
Thank you also for taking the time to comment on my blog. That was so kind of you.
Happy Summer!

Ann said...

Looking wonderful - your hydrangea is really thriving. I love the black eyed susan plants, too. Before we became apartment dwellers we had tons of knock out roses - you can't beat them! Enjoy now...and in the years to come!

Joanne said...

They are all looking like they are doing really well.

Gina said...

So far, so good! I used to loooove working on my landscaping, but lately I just want to have things that are super low maintenance. I do enjoy seeing others' yards and progress. (:

Kathrine Eldridge said...

What pretty beginnings to your perennials! My husband is doing the same thing on the side of our house and I love seeing the new blooms come up.

https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Heather, I love the black eyed Susan and the hydrangea. It's so nice to see everything blooming and growing. My flowers and garden did well this summer I think because of all of those rain storms we had.

Carla from The River said...

I think you have done an amazing job. And I do not think you planted the plants too close at all. It is beautiful.
Carla

Maria Rineer said...

Everything looks so good! The hydrangea plant is so pretty and you can tell it's going to grow even larger with even more blooms.

Olivia Beck said...

Your flower beds are certainly looking happier now. The hydrangea is stunning. I don’t think I’ve ever had one that looked so good.

Benita James said...

It's so exciting to see your hard work paying off. It looks absolutely beautiful, and it's awesome that the bees are enjoying it, too. I'm sure it will be even more stunning next year once everything is fully established. It's a great feeling to see a space transform with color and life.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails