I love using my crock pot but it's especially nice in the summer because it doesn't heat up the kitchen on an already hot day. I started with this recipe because it didn't require soaking the beans. #lazy
Ingredients:
1 pound dry pinto beans
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno - cored, seeded and finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
3 cups water
4 cups vegetable broth
Optional toppings: chopped tomato, cilantro, avocado, diced red onion, sour cream, cheese...
- Rinse the beans in a colander and pick out any damaged or misshapen beans or rocks. Transfer to crock pot.
- Sauté the onions and peppers (bell and jalpeno) in some water (or olive oil). Add 1/2 tsp of salt and garlic. Cook about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add cooked vegetables to beans in the pot. Add seasonings.
- Add water and broth.
The recipe said to cover and cook for 8-10 hours on high. Mine cooked in about half the time so keep on eye on your crock pot. When the beans are done (it makes a lot!) you can serve them over rice. You can drain the beans but I like them a little soupy if I'm having them over something.
I also like them over a baked potato (regular or sweet).
Refer to the original recipe for how to make them into refried beans and freezing instructions. I've made these twice already this summer and I'm still loving them!
Please follow me!
Instagram @heather_ourlife
Twitter @ourlifeinaclick









6 comments:
Oo yummy!!
Love Pinto Beans....but they are not a fan of my tummy. I have to ask, what is that white stuff on the tops of the one pic where you said served over rice?
Pinning!! YUM!
This sounds like it would be great to make in the fall and winter months too. Thanks for this recipe idea!
This looks so tasty!! Thanks for sharing at The Wednesday Blog Hop Heather, hope to see you again tomorrow for the weekend link up :)
This looks so good! My kind of dinner! I need to pin this one too and I think it would be great for a busy weeknight!
Post a Comment