We had a heat wave recently where the temps stayed in the upper 90's for a week (and felt like they were in 100's!). Salads were on the menu and this one was hearty enough for a meal.
I started with this recipe and gave it a few tweaks.
Ingredients:
Salad
6 oz uncooked pasta (I used whole wheat macaroni)
1 zucchini, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped (I used 1 cup of grape tomatoes)
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large cucumber chopped
1 cup artichoke hearts, drained and chopped(I used the whole can)
1/2 cup roasted red peppers packed in water, drained and chopped
1/2 cup scallions
1/4 cup sliced black olives (I omitted these)
Dressing:
1/3 cup fat free Italian dressing(I used Bragg Apple Cider Vinaigrete)
1/4 cup finely chopped basil
2 TBS sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained and chopped (I used foil packed tomatoes).
Optional: salt & pepper
To make:
- Prepare pasta according to directions on box, drain and set aside in large bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl with the pasta. Add dressing and toss to coat.
- I upped the protein by adding a can of chick peas.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour until completely chilled
- Season with salt and pepper.
- I added some vegan parmesan on top too!
Enjoy!
This makes a lot (8 heaping cups) so it's perfect for a bbq or picnic for sharing.
Please follow me!
Instagram @heather_ourlife
Twitter @ourlifeinaclick









8 comments:
Hi Heather, wow your pasta salad looks and sounds amazing. We love those kinds of salads here too for summer. I made an easy pasta salad this weekend that we have been enjoying. Have a nice day.
Julie
YUM! Love me a good salad Heather Lou. Hugs and blessings, Cindy
This is exactly the kind of summer salad I love! Looks absolutely scrumptious!
Yum!! I love doing chilled dishes in the heat of summer too!
Pasta salad is the perfect food for summer. Your version looks delicious!
YUM! It is hot here again, in the 90's and HUMID!
This looks tasty Heather. I am ready for something to eat right now and could just eat this :)
I may consider a move to PA so we can share more meals together my friend. This looks delish!
Post a Comment