Tuesday, May 15, 2012

{Recipe} Teriyaki Tofu & Pineapple Kabobs


Each issue of Vegetarian Times has a feature called "1 Food/5 Ways". The Jan/Feb issue featured luscious pineapple and these teriyaki kabobs sounded good.
You'll need some skewers, bamboo worked nicely for me.  Also a 14 oz package of extra firm tofu,cubed, half of a large pineapple, cut into chunks and 1 red bell pepper cut into 12 pieces.
Thread each skewer with three cubes of extra firm tofu, two chunks of pineapple and two pieces of red bell pepper.   I had smaller cubes of tofu so I had more per skewer.
Place them all in a baking dish.
To make the sauce, simmer 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup mirin(I couldn't find mirin so I used rice wine vinegar),1 TBS toasted sesame oil,1 TBS minced fresh ginger,2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tsp. of maple syrup and a pinch of red pepper flakes for 3 minutes in a skillet over medium heat.
Combine 2 tsp. of cornstarch and 1/4 cup plus 1 TBS of cold water in bowl. Add to skillet, and simmer 2 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.  Pour sauce over kabobs, and bake 20 minutes, turning once to keep the kebabs covered in sauce.
Dig in! Each skewer has 149 calories/9 grams of protein and/6 grams of fat( <1G saturated fat).
We had it with my Lightened up Broccoli Slaw.

one year ago...Spray Painting Again!
two years ago...Spray Painters Anonymous
Linking up with:
Pin It

9 comments:

Tanya @ Lovely Greens said...

Wow Heather...those look AMAZING! I'll bet they could go really well with rice noodles. Nom nom

Creations By Cindy said...

Thanks for the recipe. You make everything always look so good! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Sadie Dear said...

Sounds delicious! I love tofu, but I've only tried once to cook it myself. Unsuccessfully.

dee dee said...

Heather these look amazing!
dee dee

Hubba said...

Awesome! I'm a new follower and am excited to see all of your great ideas! I would love if you followed me at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

Journey of Life said...

This looks delicious. My girls would love it.

Ugochi said...

This looks really nice, thanks for sharing.
Following you from Welcome Wednesday.
Blessings!

www.ugochi-jolomi.com

Katie said...

Mmmmm, maybe I can trick AJ into eating tofu with this! (I keep saying that every time I see you use tofu, but it never works, because I'm a bad tricker!)

Carole said...

Hi there. Food on Friday: Pineapple is open for entries. This looks like a neat one! I do hope you link it in. This is the link . Cheers

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails