Wednesday, April 18, 2012

{Recipe} Lightened Up Broccoli Slaw

I've always loved that broccoli salad you get at picnics and potlucks. You know the one with about a pound of bacon, raisins, sunflower seeds and a sweet creamy dressing?  Yeah that one.  Well it's not something I should eat on a weekly basis so I've been trying to lighten it up (and make it vegan for my daughter).
My version uses broccoli slaw.  Easy Peasy!   I used one bag of Trader Joe's brand broccoli slaw.
I added in some dried cranberries and chopped scallions.
Then I whipped (err..shook) up the dressing.
An almost empty mustard jar makes a great dressing shaker jar.   I'd say there are about two tablespoons of Dijon mustard left in there.
I added in some Seasoned Rice vinegar, agave syrup, salt, pepper, garlic powder and celery seed (sometimes I use caraway seeds). Neither are pictured above, just trust me.  I don't have exact measurements but I think it was about two tablespoons of vinegar and a teaspoon or so of agave syrup, then seasonings to taste.
Shake it all up (with the lid on, natch)
Pour it on your slaw and stir to combine.  I like to put it in an airtight container and shake it up some more then store in the fridge for a few hours so that the slaw can soak up the dressing flavor.
I served it with Pineapple Teriyaka Skewers (recipe is coming up). 
You can sprinkle some sunflower seeds (or bacon bits if you are the bacon-eating kind) on the broccoli slaw to give it some more crunch and texture. I used to eat the whole thing myself but now that my daughters like it too, I share. I'm a giver.
Enjoy!

**Stay tuned, I have a giveaway for you tomorrow!!**
{have you noticed that I'm this close to 1200 followers?}






Pin It

9 comments:

Michelle said...

This looks so delicious, I love that it's vegan! My son loves broccoli so I'll be making this :) I'm following you from the blog hop x

Creations By Cindy said...

This looks so good Heather! Thanks Hugs and blessings, Cindy

LESAPEA MUSINGS said...

So delish, this looks so fresh. Thanks for sharing sweetie and congrats on reaching 1200 followers.

Love Lisa x

chrissy said...

i love that you are so supportive of your daughter's veganism.

Mama Zen said...

That looks really good!

Tracy said...

OHhh this looks so good. I have never heard of broccoli slaw ?

Katie said...

This looks so good! One of my girlfriends makes something similar and its always the first thing to go at picnics!

Yay for being so close to 1200 followers! That is so exciting!

Colleen said...

My son might enjoy this, going to have to give it a try!

Heather, I've nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award, check out my April 18th post for information. Have a great day!

LDH said...

Your version looks just as good as the original!

Nice stopping by to visit with you! :)

Kindly, Lorraine

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails