Tuesday, October 22, 2019

{Travel} Italy-Day 4 Colosseum, Palatine Hill & Roman Forum


It was Day 4 in Italy and our last day in Rome.  We had another tour booked to maximize our time there.
 We booked a Skip the  Line: Colosseum, Palatine Hill & Roman Forum tour for Friday morning.
 We were able to walk to the meeting point from our hotel (about a 25 minute walk).
 The Colosseum is another attraction that gets extremely busy so having a skip the line tour is a must if you don't want to spend your time waiting in long lines.

 This tour was just ok but still worth it to get in quickly and tour the Colosseum.
 After the Colosseum tour we had a break and met up with another tour guide.
 He walked us over to the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.

  The Roman Forum dates back to 500 BC.
 From this websiteThe Roman Forum was the scene of public meetings, law courts, and gladiatorial combats in republican times and was lined with shops and open-air markets. Under the empire, when it primarily became a centre for religious and secular spectacles and ceremonies, it was the site of many of the city’s most imposing temples and monuments.

 Palatine Hill was where the emperors lived and you can still see ruins of their impressive castles.   It also has some of the best views of Rome.
 By this point in the tour I think I was too overwhelmed with history and it was all starting to blend together in my head.

There was just so much to see and learn.
 That evening I was determined to try an aperitivo-an Italian tradition of a pre  meal drink (and snack) to whet your appetite.
 I also got to try my first Aperol Spritz.
 It was a little too sweet for me but still tasty.
We were at Da Carlos in Trevi and tried their bruschetta which was delicious!
 We walked around the city one last time (at the Spanish Steps).
On a side note, we couldn't believe how many McCafe's there were around so we stopped in one to check it out. They are a lot fancier than American McDonald's.
 Also, look at this pastry case at your typical McCafe!
We had a late dinner (not at McCafe) and soaked in the beauty of Rome one last night.
 We weren't too sad about it because we were heading to Cinque Terre in the morning.
 to be continued...

Catch up here:


Please follow me!
Instagram @heather_ourlife 
Twitter @ourlifeinaclick 


Pin It

9 comments:

Tamar SB said...

What an amazing place to see in person! To think that was built before all the modern construction innovations!!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

You got some great shots and saw so much. We also did the colesseum and loved it. It is amazing how nice the McDonalds are in other parts of the world. In Vietnam they also had a nice cafe and bakery and we were able to have matcha drinks! You two look like you had such a fun time together. I can't wait to see and hear more of your trip.

likeschocolate said...

I admire those who can do the Aperol Spritzers, they are just way too bitter for me. I wish I could because they are supposed to be so good for digestion. It looks like you had a fabulous time in Rome!

http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2019/10/5-days.html

Creations By Cindy said...

The pictures are stunning. So glad you are having such a wonderful time. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

csuhpat1 said...

So very nice. Beautiful.

Carol On The Lake said...

Amazing captures of beautiful ruins!

Carla from The River said...

Great photos Heather. Wow !! about the Mc Donalds... when I was in Ukraine it was the same thing. They also had more chicken on the menu.

Thank you again for sharing your trip with us.
Carla

Laura | Everyday Edits said...

Hi Heather, We did the coliseum tour too! And, I agree it was okay. It was great to see in person! loved it! laura

Claire Justine said...

Looks like a great holiday, I really need to travel more. I need to renew my passport so we can travel more.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails