I was craving this soup and had some TVP in the pantry that I wanted to use up. Have you heard of TVP?
This is the kind I used. TVP stands for textured vegetable protein and it's a good substitute for ground beef. It's shelf stable and when hydrated, becomes beef like in texture. It takes on whatever seasonings you add to it so it's quite versatile.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein) crumbles, hydrated with 1/2 cup of broth
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup vegetarian sausage crumbles (I use Don't be a Piggy brand)
4 TBS nutritional yeast
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 box Green Lentil Lasagna sheets (or noodles of choice)-broken up
1-2 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1-2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups raw baby spinach
Optional Toppings: Cheeses of choice, fresh basil & more crushed red pepper flakes
To make:
- Start by hydrating the TVP in broth. Set aside
- Water sauté green pepper, onions and garlic in a large pot until onions are translucent.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes, marinara sauce, sausage crumbles, tvp, nutritional yeast, broth and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a low boil an add the lasagna noodles. Let the soup come back up to a low boil. Turn down heat, place lid on pot and allow the soup to simmer until the noodles are cooked (about 20-25 minutes)
- Add spinach when ready to serve. Let it wilt into the soup. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve with optional cheeses and some fresh basil on top.
- Enjoy this comforting bowl of goodness!
Please follow me!
Instagram @heather_ourlife


6 comments:
Perfect for our kind of weather. Pinned it. If I did not already started and bought all the other ingredients for soup this morning, I would have made this, but will come back for it.
I visited you via Little Things Thursday!
I linked up this week with = 25+26. I hope you will join us M-S SeniorSalonPitStop and W-S #WordlessWednesday. You will find both under BLOGGING.
Oh I am going to have to look for that TVP and see if I can sneak it in past my family! Your soup looks delicious.
Heather, I've never heard of TVP. This soup looks and sounds so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
You cannot go wrong with Bob’s Red Mill products. Can’t believe I’ve never heard of TVP But I bet I’d like it and this recipe
TVP is the best!
Beautiful blog
Post a Comment