Has this ever happened to you? Your favorite jar candle's wick burns down but you're still left with a lot of wax on the sides of the jar? You can stop the tunnel effect if you catch it early enough but I didn't notice it was happening until it was too late.
Of course it was a spendy Anthropologie candle and I wanted to figure out if I could save it. I used this post for reference and it was so helpful. I wasn't sure it would work for me but I gave it a go.
1)Add about 2 inches of water to a pan with a steamer. When the water is boiling, add the steamer insert. Place candle in steamer.
2) While the wax is melting, gather your supplies. I had some old skewers that I broke in half, some popsicle sticks(wasn't sure what I would need) and luckily I found some wicks from CG2's candle making days. If you don't have wicks, you can use other household items to make a wick. You can also order a candle kit here. A paper plate, plastic knife and fork are also useful to have.
2) While the wax is melting, gather your supplies. I had some old skewers that I broke in half, some popsicle sticks(wasn't sure what I would need) and luckily I found some wicks from CG2's candle making days. If you don't have wicks, you can use other household items to make a wick. You can also order a candle kit here. A paper plate, plastic knife and fork are also useful to have.
3) Keep on eye on the candle as it melts. It should take about 15 minutes to fully melt.
4) You can use a plastic knife to loosen the wax on the sides of the jar. Be careful as it can splash out. Hot wax!
5) Remove the old wick. I found a plastic fork worked best for this. When the wax is fully melted. Turn off the heat.
6) Now it's time to add the wicks. I found the skewers worked best for this. Wrap the end of the wick around the skewer and gently place the wick into the hot wax. Try and position the wick where you want it. I pressed the metal wick bottom down with a plastic knife. I decided to make my candle a 4-wick.7) Once your wicks are in place. Leave the jar in the steamer (with heat off) until it cools for approximately 2 hours. Then place in the refrigerator for an hour.
8) Remove the skewers and trim the wicks to 1/4 inch. I used my cat nail clippers but cuticle scissors were suggested.
11) I've been enjoying it so much and still have lots of burn time left!
Please follow me!
Instagram @heather_ourlife


9 comments:
Great idea
That's a great idea - especially for a candle that costs so much. I will try this - I have some that need it. The one I burn most often is on my stove and I find that the heat from the oven keeps it "even" - even when I am not burning it. I love the container of your candle. Keep telling myself I will not buy any more candles until I use all the ones I have already....but I think I need the one you have pictured! Have a great month of March!
Oh this is great! This does happen to me too. Also I discovered a way of cleaning candle jars. I discovered this by accident. I inadvertently left a candle that was more or less done on the stove when I had the oven on and all the left over wax melted to a liquid so I just poured it into the trash and then was able to wash the jar and reuse it.
Allie of
www.allienyc.com
That is so cool!
Yes, I have had this happen to me and it is frustrating. Thank you for the tips.
This is amazing Heather! I’m totally going to try this!
Nice idea!
Great tutorial. I have the wicks too from my diy candle days!
Great idea! xo laura
This happens a lot to my candles. I will have to try out this method Heather.
Post a Comment