Thursday, September 24, 2020

{Recipe} Chick Pea "Tuna" Casserole-Vegan

 This is a comforting, easy to make dish that satisfied my tuna casserole craving. 

I wasn't a big tuna casserole fan when I did eat tuna but I loved the idea of a chickpea "tuna" casserole.

Ingredients:
(Serves   4-6)
3 cups bowtie pasta, dry
1 cup frozen peas
2TBS vegan butter (or olive oil)
1 small onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1-2 tsp mushroom seasoning (optional)
3TBS nutritional  yeast
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 sheet nori, cut into small pieces
1 cup shredded vegan cheese
2 cups non dairy milk (I used almond)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs (you could sub crushed saltines or potato chips)

To make:
  • Preheat oven to 375ºF
  • Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.   Put peas in with  pasta  once it's al dente and heat through, drain and set aside

  • Melt butter and sauté onions and celery until onions are translucent
  • Add flour and stir, add some water or broth to loosen flour if needed and allow to thicken
  • Add remaining broth and mix to incorporate the flour mixture

  • Add mushroom seasoning (this is the one I used)
  • Add nutritional yeast, Old Bay, celery seed, nori and vegan cheese
  • Once the cheese melts, add the almond milk and heat though until thickened, taste and adjust seasonings if needed
  • Flake chickpeas with a fork, leaving some whole
  • In 9x13 dish add cooked peas, pasta and chickpeas, add sauce and stir to combine. (Or add pasta, peas and chickpeas to sauce,  mix then add to 9x13 dish.
  • Add breadcrumbs to the top
  • Bake uncovered  for 30 minutes
  • The top should be golden brown and bubbly
  • Remove and serve

Enjoy!  I served ours with some roasted asparagus. Leftovers were great too!

Please follow me!
Instagram @heather_ourlife 
Twitter @ourlifeinaclick 
Facebook @ourlifeinclick

Linking up:


Pin It

5 comments:

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I love your version of vegan tuna casserole and I can't wait to make this! Thanks for sharing the recipe to make it. :)

Tamar SB said...

What a cool adaptaion!

Carla from The River said...

I always appreciate when you share recipes. :-)

Hena Tayeb said...

Ooh looks yum!

Laura | Everyday Edits said...

this brings back memories of Lenten fridays and my mom's tuna casserole.
I am going to try those vegan butter sticks!

laura

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails