This is probably the third time I've made this soup and it's still so good. There's something magical about the combination of simple ingredients, I tell ya!
The recipe is from Oh She Glows and I've loved everything I've ever made of hers.
Ingredients:
3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked (I used 1/2 cup)
6 cups vegetable broth, divided
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil(I omitted this)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups diced sweet onion (1 medium)
1 heaping cup diced raw carrots
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups diced sweet potato, white potato or butternut squash (I used white)
1 heaping cup diced celery
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes and their juices
1-2 TBS Homemade Spice Mix (recipe below)
salt & pepper to taste
2-3 cups baby spinach or kale (I used 1 package of frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed of excess moisture)
1 15 oz can of chickpeas or other beans (I used chickpeas)
*I added 3/4 cup frozen corn*
Homemade Spice Mix
(makes 1/2 cup-I halved the measurements to make 1/4 cup-you'll still have leftover spice mix)
2 TBS smoked paprika
1 TBS oregano
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS onion powder
1 TBS dried basil
2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
1 tsp white pepper (optional)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
To make:
1) Soak cashews in water for 8 hours or overnight. A quicker method is to soak cashews in boiling water for 30-60 minutes. Drain and rinse the cashews.
2) In a blender mix drained and rinsed cashews with 1 cup of the vegetable broth. Process on high until smooth. Set aside.
3) In a large pot, heat olive oil (or water) and add onions and garlic. Sauté over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes until onion is translucent. Season generously with sea salt (I skipped the salt).
4) Add carrots, bell peppers, potatoes, corn (if using) celery, tomatoes and their juices, the remaining 5 cups of vegetable broth and 1 - 2 TBS of the spice mix (start with the smaller amount if you don't want too much spice)to the pot. Stir to combine. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Add salt & pepper to taste (I didn't think it needed any).
5) Simmer the soup uncovered for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender. Mine took about 30 minutes. Season with salt & pepper if necessary. During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the cashew cream, spinach(or kale) and drained beans. Add more spice mix to taste. You'll have leftover spice mix for future soup!
This freezes really well.
It's creamy, hearty and packed full of healthy veggies! Enjoy!
Please follow me!
Instagram @heather_ourlife
Twitter @ourlifeinaclick
Pin It




5 comments:
YUM! I just made a big ole pot of homemade veggie soup this week. So good. Hugs and blessings, Cindy
Yum!!!
Yummy, this looks so tasty Heather :) Thanks for sharing at Welcome To The Weekend Blog Hop hope you're having a lovely Sunday.
I think this is the perfect Fall soup! I have to get it on the menu soon!
This soup looks and sounds so good. It’s perfect to warm you up on a cold day.
Thanks for sharing at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.
Post a Comment