To make these {DIY} fire starters, all you need are:
Empty toilet paper rolls
Dryer Lint
Old birthday candles (optional)
Wax Paper (optional)
When I found out I could use dryer lint for these guys, I started collecting it with a vengeance. I store it in a vase in the laundry room. Once I have enough lint and tubes, I can get to work on the fire starters.
Loosely pack the lint into the tubes. Add an old candle (optional) into the center. The wax from the candle keeps the fire starter burning longer.
These are all ready to go but if you like, you can also wrap them in wax paper (more wax=more burn time).Plus they look pretty cute and keep the lint inside.
Set up your fire and add a few fire starters. I started with two of them. Light the fire starters.
Add more as needed. The trick is for the fire starter to burn long enough to get the wood going. I used 3 or 4 for this fire because the wood wasn't super dry.
Enjoy your (practically) free fire!
What's your favorite recycled/upcycled household tip?
Let's keep in touch!









8 comments:
Who knew? What a cool thing to make! I' never even thought of this! Thanks my friend!
Fun! We used to use cardboard egg cartons and lint!
I've been making firestarters of one kind or another for 25 years, they made great gifts that my kids could make for people. I also might be making some of your over night oats, but I think I'll skip the seaweed salad! Way to healthy for me.
Hi Heather,
We use egg cartons and lint ;-)
It is a great idea and they work well.
Have a great Wednesday!
Carla
Looks like a great idea :) I've never lite a real fire ..
I had never heard of this before. Thanks for sharing. We use Doritos to start a fire outside in our fire pit. Works like a charm.
This is so cool! I don't actually have a fireplace, but my mom does and I am going to suggest this to her!
I have never heard this but it's a great idea. Recently I bought this Waterproof Firestarter, The ferro rod and which are both included in 1 fire starting kit and that fits conveniently in your pocket. I found this discount code. http://patriotdeal.com/collections/all/products/flint-firestarter Use this code "PD10"and save 10%.
Post a Comment