Friday, June 25, 2010

{Recipe} Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato

For my Eat Pray Love book club get together I made gelato.  In case you haven't read the book, the writer eats a lot of gelato in Italy so I thought it would be an appropriate treat.
We had been trying out lots of different icecream flavors in our Cuisinart soft serve machine but I had never made gelato.

 I used this recipe from Giada DeLaurentis on Food Network.com.  Here are the ingredients (minus the vanilla extract and hazelnuts--I always forget something in my photo!)

Combine 1 cup of heavy cream, 2 cups of whole milk and 1/2 cup of sugar in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. (about 5 minutes)* I used a little less sugar because a few of the reviews said that it was too sweet.*
Meanwhile, mix up 4 egg yolks with an electric mixer until they become thick and creamy (and turn a pale yellow).
Pour a 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture into the eggs and stir then pour the entire egg mixture into the saucepan and cook over very low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture become so thick that it will coat the back of a wooden spoon.




Place a strainer over a bowl and pour the mixture over the strainer.

Add in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/2 cup of chocolate hazelnut spread (like Nutella). Stir until the Nutella melts and it is all combined.  Chill mixture completely before putting it in your icecream maker.

We are loving this machine.  All you have to do is keep the freezer bowl in your freezer and then it's always ready to make icecream.  This was the first time we tried a custard-like icecream (cooking the eggs with the milk and cream).
I made it ahead of time to make sure it would work in our machine and it did!


I put the container of gelato in the freezer (after taste testing it to make sure it was ok).  When it was time to serve it up, we sprinkled it with a few hazelnuts (I forgot to toast them).  It was molto deliziosa!!


Linking up with:
                                                     

http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

http://pumpkinpatchdesigns.blogspot.com/

Pin It

15 comments:

Life in Rehab said...

Yum! Time to find the other half of the ice cream machine at my house!

Yellow House said...

I love your ice cream maker! I love that there is sprinkle storage! Thanks for passing the recipe along... great idea for your book club. Happy Friday!

missykade said...

Following, would love to have you follow back if you haven't already. Thank you : )

http://lucasjourneyspd.blogspot.com/

Mystee said...

I'm your newest follower. Have a great weekend.

Mystee

http://amomentwithmystee.blogspot.com

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I ♥ my ice cream maker... this looks like a Friday's Favorite for sure!

Petie said...

Yum....that last picture looks like something from a professional chef!

Eve said...

Mmmm, that looks very tasty. I'm not allowed to have Nutella :D hubby hides it from me because of my stinking diabetes. But if I wasn't diabetic I think I could eat the whole jar. Nice post.

Sarah said...

Yum! That looks great!
I'm a new follower from Social Parade.
I hope you'll come check me out at PS Mom Reviews and follow me too!

Laura said...

I've never seen a soft-serve maker. This looks delicious. Giada always has great recipes.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Laura @ along for the ride

Le Chateau des fleurs said...

great recipe! Anything nutella! LOL
Love the deck also. so pretty and inviting!
XO
Frenchy

Heather said...

HOw did you like the book??

The gelato looks great. I'll have to pass as I am deathly allergic to hazelnuts. What a weird thing to be allergic too!!

It is nice to meet you. I stopped by from the blog hop.

Have a great weekend.

Island Gal said...

Amazing recipe! I'm so trying it!

Btw thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm now following you too!! ;)

Have a lovely weekend!

Diane said...

Lovvvve anything chocolate Ü This sounds great. Thanks.

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

This looks amazing! We are experimenting with ice cream here too. If I come up with something good I'll have to share it.

Thanks for linking to Messy Monday. Can't wait for your next project!

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh my good heavens. I want some right this second. Perfectly heavenly!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails