Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mantel Makeover

We've had the same items up on our mantel pretty much since we moved in. I do change it up for the holidays but for most of the year it looks like this.
I've wanted to put a mirror up there but hadn't found the right one so while I was shopping at one of my favorite stores --Marshalls Home Goods --and looking for a mirror for the dining room, I found this PYT (pretty young thing...I've got the MJ song in my head now!)

 I came home with this instead of a mirror for over the buffet (they're really big and I'll need some help with that).
So up it went and with a few of the accessories we had left over from this party , here's what it looks like now. I think it lightens it up and looks fresh and springy.

The price tag is still on the mirror but I'm pretty sure it's staying. My 16 year old saw it and said 'that looks really good" and I asked "so a thumb's up?" and she said "A+". Wow! That's some high praise, coming from her!!  The big black star now hangs over our bed. What do you think? Was it time for a change or should I have left it as it was?

Pin It

17 comments:

Life in Rehab said...

No, no, your daughter is right, it's perfect! The little green balls are a great pop of color, and the mirror is going to send candlelight bouncing everywhere. Your instincts are good!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Sunny. I might tweak it a little as I go but for now I'm loving it! I love mirrors for making the candlelight bounce too.The candles are on a timer (and flameless) so I don't have to hassle with them every night.

Life in Rehab said...

Oh, I love to mix in flameless candles! Where did you get the ones on a timer? Mine are rechargeable battery models, but I'd seriously dig coming home to candles!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Yeah me too! I get mine on QVC. Once you get the ones with timers, you never go back! I have some of the other ones and I'm too lazy to put them on.

Chelsea said...

Oh, that looks great! The pops of green and all the white, black and reflectiveness really make it very Springy. Love it!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Chelsea...my green "puff balls" are getting a lot of action and accolades!!

Samantha said...

homegoods is my all time favorite store. i spent 2 hrs there on friday, haha!! looks great!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Samantha..tell me about it! I have to go early in the day or I'm not back in time to pick up the kids.

Rachelle said...

I love it! The birds and the stars are my favorite! It's like sweet and sassy.. Glamor and shabby chic.

LOVE it.

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Rachelle...you're too kind! Thanks. The birds are from my daughter's b'day party (bought at Michael's). I love the glamour and shabby chic comment!!!

Sherry @ Young House Love said...

So cute! Love that new mirror. Thanks for sharing the link!

xo,
s (& j)

Carole said...

cute, love the mirror! I wonder if you might try an asymmetrical arrangement of the center candles (maybe having a shorter one on one side, similar to the ones on the candlesticks in the corner?

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Sherry I just fainted and even blogged about your comment on my post. You made my week!! Funny you love the mirror, someone else asked if it was the same one you got for the baby's room and I even thought that myself and had to go back and check..it's close but not exact.

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Carole..thanks for visiting! I don't know if I can do asymetrical but I'll go check out my candle cabinet and see if I can do what you're suggesting.
Thanks for commenting!!

-heather

iheartorganizing said...

It looks fantastic! IHeart the little white birds, they are very fresh and spring like! But the mirror really is the show stopper. I would love to find one just like it!

Thanks for sharing!

xoxo,
Jen

Stephanie Lynn said...

Your mantel looks fantastic! I am a huge fan of the black white and green! Fabulous! I really like the detailing of your mirror - great find! I bought our large mirro rin the dining room at Ikea. It was the largest mirror I could find that fit the space. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing. Looks stunning! ~ Stephanie Lynn

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Stephanie Lynn.....I didn't think to look at Ikea for a large mirror like that. Good tip!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails