Thursday, October 23, 2014

{Get Crafty} Hitchhiking Ghosts Glowing Mason Jar


The Haunted Mansion is one of our favorite rides at Walt Disney World so when I saw this pin for a Hitchhiking Ghosts Glowing Mason Jar, I knew I had to make it.
 Luckily, I had all of the supplies on hand.  The instructions link to a printable stencil for a larger mason jar or a smaller one. I did the larger size.  I printed it out and cut out the stencil then taped it to the inside of my (thrifted,natch) mason jar.
 This was the part I wasn't too sure about. I had to trace the design on the outside of the jar with PERMANENT marker.   I used a fine tipped Sharpie to outline, then fill in the design.  I checked that I hadn't missed any detail by gently pulling the stencil away from the jar without completely removing it.
 The tutorial called from purple metallic paint but I mixed up my own with a combination of purple, glitter and gold metallic craft paints.
 I added some water to my paint mixture then swirled it around the inside of the jar.
 The hard part is waiting for it to dry.  I flipped it over to drip dry on a paper plate and wiped the rim of the jar every 15 minutes or so as it was drying.
Once it was dry, I was ready to light it up. I love these battery operated Halloween lights because they are so bright and they fit inside most pumpkins but the jar's opening wasn't quite big enough. So underneath it went!
Ta-da!
I get a little bit of Disney with my Halloween decorations. I can't help hearing "and a ghost will follow you home" every time I look at it!
*Update*
I changed out the light to a color changing one and love how much more purple it looks!
Don't forget to come back and link up your favorite projects from the week tomorrow at Friday Favorites!
Do you follow?
Pin It

7 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oo perfect for Halloween!

Carla from The River said...

Cool!
Happy Halloween!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing! Where did you find the stencil? I am hosting a little Halloween party for the kids next Friday, this would be a great craft!

Ida said...

That's really cool looking and I love the result with the different light you used.

Becky said...

This is awesome!! Loving those lights too, I haven't seen those before!!

Jules said...

Your jar turned out perfect! I so would not have been patient enough to trace that whole design.

laura@notatrophywife.com said...

This is so cool Heather! laura

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails