Friday, October 10, 2014

{Get Crafty} Chalk Painted Photo Box Makeover

This was an easy project but I wasn't quite sure how it would end up.
 I'd been using these boxes to store supplies and things in our den.  My mom gave me the boxes when she was moving a few years ago. They are perfectly suitable and sturdy boxes but the design on the boxes was looking a bit dated (helloooo 1991!!).
 I'm always admiring the pretty new photo boxes at Michael's with their current and trendy designs but it didn't feel right to just replace my old boxes without trying to revamp them first.  I used my new favorite chalk paint (American Decor in Treasure) and gave the boxes a few coats. I wasn't sure if it would cover but it did quite nicely.
 To "joodge" them up, I wanted to give each box it's own design. I used this interlocking circle pattern for the top of one of my boxes. I first did it in pencil then went over it with a gold Sharpie. 
 I really wanted some chevron on the boxes but I knew I wouldn't be good at free-handing or even taping a pattern on. Luckily I found this zig zag ruler in my scrapping stash and that worked like a charm.  I added a simple polka dot pattern to the third box.
 I made new labels for the boxes (love my latest P-touch!).
The labels got popped into their holders and this project was d.o.n.e!  
I love the new color and I'm happy that I was able to upcycle the boxes.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a party to throw for a very special 15 year old tonight!!
Please link up your latest and greatest here!!

Do you follow?
Pin It

6 comments:

Tamar SB said...

How cool are those! Love the colors.

Carla from The River said...

Fun...love the color.

Love Of Quilts said...

So much better. Paint works on almost anything these days. I have tried it on a few things my self.

Bliss said...

1991 was a very good year.

Becky said...

They turned out great! Love the makeover and good to know the paint covers well on cardboard boxes!!

Donna Wilkes said...

I am loving how you beautified the boxes with the paint and designs. If you have the time, please come join Make It Monday Link Party which starts on Sunday night at 7PM Eastern.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails