Tuesday, October 28, 2014

{Acorn Love} Preserving and Decorating with Acorns

Collecting acorns was on my Fall Bucket List and I started collecting some on our walks in the park.
This was the humble start of my collection.
 I had mentioned to one of my neighbors that I wanted to come up to her house and collect acorns because I remembered they got zillions of them.
A few days later she texted me that she had left me a gift.  It was a coffee can full of sweet little acorns!  Before using them in my decor, I washed and dried them and then baked them in a low oven (200 F) on a foil lined cookie sheet for 1 1/2-2 hours, leaving the oven door slightly open as they baked.  This gets rid of any 'critters' that may be living in the acorns.
Speaking of critters....this was my first display. The squirrel looks like she's guarding her stash.
I put the rest of the acorns in a blue mason jar.  It's nestled in a vignette on our coffee table in the living room.  So easy!  Acorns are the perfect fall decoration and can even transition into Christmas decorations with a little glitter or metallic paint.
How's that for upcycling?
Do you follow?
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up with:
Anything Blue Friday
Inspire Me Tuesday
Pin It

8 comments:

ricky albert danganan said...

Hello there,
Great foods!! Thank you so much for sharing these, we are truly inspired!!! We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in www.mytaste.com/ with over 6 million users worldwide... Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and deserves to be included on the Top list!!

We will feature your blog and create shout outs about your recipes to our fan pages.
MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility from the web and share/save foods and recipes. Some of them receive at least 10,000 visits from us on a weekly basis.

If you’d like to be featured, expand your readership and JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, here's the link where you can add your blog to the list>> http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs (Joining won't cost you any cents)

Kind regards
-Ricky

Becky said...

I love the acorns!! I've been trying to find some affordable faux acorns the last couple of years to decorate with, all the trees around here are the non acorn producing kind ;)

Tamar SB said...

How cool to bake them to kill the critters!

Carla from The River said...

Great idea. I love acorns too. But we do not live in an area that has many oaks. We have lots of maple.
Looking forward to seeing your Christmas ideas.

Have you read Paris Letters? I just finished it. It might be a good read before your trip. :-)
xx oo
Carla

Jules said...

What a great an inexpensive way to decorate. I would have never thought to bake them. We have a couple of huge acorn producing trees on our street. Love that little squirrel!

Love Of Quilts said...

How darling! Love the squirrel!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

So pretty and rustic! The perfect Fall decoration :)

laura@notatrophywife.com said...

Hi Heather
These acorns look great in the jar! I love the look! laura

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails