Wednesday, October 15, 2014

{Recipe} Vegetarian Baked Beans (in a Crock Pot)

I was never a big fan of baked beans growing up. I always considered them the mushy accompaniment to hotdogs and they were probably from a can.  That all changed when I was visiting my grandmother in Vermont as an adult and tried her husband's homemade baked bean (in a crock pot).  They were so flavorful and delicious, I asked for the recipe.  His started off with a big hunk of salt pork and he cooked the hotdogs (on a string!) in the beans.
For my vegetarian version I use a combination of his family recipe and this one.  I don't like my beans to be too sweet and I don't care for molasses so I leave that out and go easy on the brown sugar.
 I start my beans the night before by soaking them in cold water overnight. I like to use a mix of beans for some taste variation.   For this batch I used a half a pound of dried pinto beans and a half a pound of dried Great Northern beans.  This is how the drained beans look after a night of soaking.
In the morning, drain and rinse off the soaking liquid and add the other ingredients to the beans.
Ingredients:
 1 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T Worcestershire sauce (I use Annie's)
1 TBS paprika
2-3 TBS spicy brown mustard (I added some additional dried mustard too to give it a little more zing)
dash or two of liquid smoke
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
2-3 TBS tomato paste
salt & pepper to taste
2 1/2 cups of fresh water
Cook on low for 8+ hours or high for 4 hours, the longer the better if you ask me.
Check for taste before serving and adjust seasonings if necessary.
The beans cook down and take on this beautiful color (and flavor).
They make the house smell delicious while they are cooking too.
That crock pot is a beautiful thing!

Do you follow?
Pin It

9 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Yummy!!!

Chrissy said...

saved! you had me at "beans" and "crock pot"... two of my favorite things! <3

Carla from The River said...

Yummy! Thank you for sharing.

Dawn Gross said...

They look delicious! I've been trying to use the crock pot more often. So nice coming home to dinner already done!

Becky said...

Well, I love all things crock pot and this looks yummy!! We usually fix our beans on the smoker and they are delicious!!

EG CameraGirl said...

This recipe sounds like a GOOD one!

Morgan Taber said...

These look awesome, Heather! Thanks for sharing! :)

Clairejustine oxox said...

Whoo these look yummy, I love my slow cooker, need to try these :)

Thanks for linking up #weekendbloghop

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I am absolutely going to make these overnight today! I think my kids will love them and I love the fact that they are vegetarian! Thank you for sharing, so glad I found your blog :-)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails