Thursday, April 4, 2013

{Entertaining} Irish Night


We hosted some friends and family for "Irish Night" while College Girl was still home for a minute. I was in party withdrawal from not hosting a birthday bash for her so this was a good excuse to throw a get together.   If you want to send out paper party invitations, check out Shutterfly for any of your stationery needs.
When our guests arrived, we asked them to find their leprechaun name and fill out a name tag for themselves.   
I found this on Facebook, not sure of the source but it was fun!
We had a few props around for photo ops (I didn't take enough photos of course!).
I bought mostly white flowers (with a few green and yellow thrown in) and added some cute St. Patrick's Day picks that I found here.  

Lots of fun and free printables on that site!
The house was already decorated for St. Patrick's Day and I added these shamrock lights I had found on clearance.  
It was chilly enough to have a cozy fire going.
I like to change out the kitchen chalkboard so I added an Irish saying (and some crude artistic embellishments).
The main focus of the party was food (isn't it always?).  Miss Middle School made her now famous Irish Soda Bread Muffins.
Shepherd's Pie-three ways (turkey, veggie and vegan).  I loosely follow this recipe (minus the mushrooms) for the shepherd's pie, replacing ground beef with ground turkey.
Veggie substituions: I use Smart Ground beef replacement and Annie's Worcestershire Sauce.
Vegan substitutions: Same as Veggie but also mash the potatoes with vegan butter and almond milk and top with nutritional yeast.
The hubs asked if he could help with anything so I gave him the fruit rainbow. He did a great job, no?

I picked up some green candies (mint M & M's, Jelly Bellies and gum balls) and some gold chocolate coins to give the dessert table some color and sparkle.
All of the sweets were set up on the buffet in the dining room.
 We also served Green Velvet Cake Pops and Irish Potatoes (all made by my daughter).
Another fun addition was little cupcake liners filled with Lucky Charms.
The dining room table held most of the food. I kept the shepherd's pies warm in a chafing dish. We also had Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon and roasted asparagus.  Our friend (and amazing chef) brought Colcannon (mashed potatoes and cabbage) that he had made for us last year.  We also had other yummy additions from our guests like salad, wonton wrapper appetizers, sausage & broccoli rabe, sushi and wings.  If you're looking for St. Patrick's Day recipes, check out Pinterest or Food Network.
My thrifted basket held rolls and Irish soda muffins (more of the cute picks that I printed out).  There was some good Irish cheddar with crackers too.
We served a variety of Irish beers.
Wine and soda too!
I found these fun mustache straws at Target.
My friend texted me this picture of herself. too cute!
I like how you can see the party happening in the reflection of the window.
We played Irish music to set the mood. I have a few cds but you can also find a good selection on Pandora.  I think everybody enjoyed themselves. I know we did!

Linking up with:
Tuesdays Around The World
EBTKS
Thrifty Things Friday
Thursday Favorite Things
Weekend Wonders
Feature Yourself Friday
Alphabe-Thursday
Say G'day Saturday
Create & Inspire
Anything Blue Friday
Sunday Showcase
Wow Us Wednesday
Whatever Wednesday
Make It Pretty Monday
Blog Stalking Thursday
Pin It

23 comments:

camp and cottage living said...

Heather
You really know how to do up a party!
It looks like it was a lot of fun.

Debbiedoo's said...

awww...Man, why can't we be neighbors! How fun Heather. I will say, and I know you will agree. The guiness here is not nearly as good. Ahhh..I can go for one now. Oops it is only 9:00 in the morning LOL!

Jules said...

It looks like you did a fabulous job on the party...I am sure that a great time was had by all!!!

Hugs,
Warty McFearsome ;)

Dawn said...

Looks like a fun party!!

Dawn
dmg314

Dawn said...

Looks like a fun party!!

Dawn
dmg314

Wendys Hat said...

What a fun night! Everything looks perfect! I love it!

Katherine Vargas said...

Sound like ya had a blast i love the name idea.

((Hugs))
Thunderous Owickless ;)

Mel@JunkinJunky said...

Bleary McSmelly :) So glad I'm not Irish ha ha.

I read this while at work yesterday and had to tell my co-workers what their Irish names are; we had a laugh.

You throw the best parties. You put so much thought and work into making them so special. You are a gift to your family and friends.

Nicki said...

Very clever - from start to finish. Sounds like a party anyone would be happy to be at. Irish Soda Bread Muffins - brilliant!

Lola said...

Wow! What a fun party - great pics!

Have a great weekend too!

Visiting from Alphabe-Thursday

Bliss said...

The Party Queen Returns! Fun time for sure.

Goldie McKnob

Granny-Guru said...

Love all the Irish-themed food and decorations and photos, but especially the fruit rainbow!

Pondside said...

Sprinkles McWhisky here - that looked like a great party!

Yolanda Ronaldo said...

I'm Sprinkles McKnob :)

Katie said...

This party looks like so much fun! You did a great job, and I'm sure everyone had a fabulous time! And your husband did a great job with the fruit rainbow :)

Mama Hen said...

So fun! The food looks delicious! Sounds like a super fun time. I hope you are doing well. Hope you had a great Easter. Happy spring! Have a great week!

Mama Hen

Life in Rehab said...

Ya throw a lurvely party, m'darlin'! Everything looks just fantastic.

Katherines Corner said...

Darn, I want to party with you!! What fun! Thank you for sharing at the hop, your participation makes the hop extra special. Big Hugs P.S. the new giveaway posted Friday!

Splendid Little Stars said...

wonderful photos! very festive! The party looks like such fun!
~Peevish McFearsome

A Little Knick Knack said...

FUN! We didn't even where green on St. Patrick's Day! The food looks sooo yummy!

Jenny said...

You absolutely outdid yourself with This Tremendously fun packed party...

Too cool!

Thanks for sharing This with us for The letter T...

Terrific job!

A+

Morgan said...

Your party looks so awesome! Green is my favorite color so of course this is right up my alley. The flowers are gorgeous.
The food looks so good! Your husband did a great job with the fruit rainbow - it looks so festive.
You're the party queen! :)

Marlis said...

Heather,,, this is a super duper fabulous party! fruit rainbow?? love the ideas you had.. I know the guests were thrilled and had a fabulous time. xo marlis

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails