Friday, March 16, 2012

{Recipe} Irish Potato Candy + Vegan Version

"Irish Potatoes" are another treat we enjoy around St. Patrick's Day.  If you've never heard of them, they are a cream cheese & coconut candy rolled in cinnamon to resemble potatoes. I don't think they are Irish, but they've been sold around here during March for as long as I can remember.
 Very good and very sweet.
Also very easy to make.
You'll need:
1/4 cup butter, softened
4-8 oz of cream cheese (we've used both amounts and the recipe works)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners's sugar
2 1/2 cups flaked coconut (we make half with coconut and half without)
1 TBS ground cinnamon (we usually use more)
Cream butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Excuse my poor photos, my daughter was working quickly.
Add vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth.
Stir in the coconut (if using). If you're not using coconut, you'll need more of the confectioners's sugar.
Roll into balls and then roll in cinnamon (you can also use half cinnamon/half confectioners' sugar if straight cinnamon is too strong for you).  Place on a cookie sheet and chill until set.  
 I'll be serving them tonight at book club.
Along with our Irish Soda Bread Muffins and Shepherd's Pie.
To make the vegan version of Irish potatoes, we substituted Earth Balance margarine for the butter and Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese for the cream cheese.   The Vegan approves!
one year ago...Spring {ahead} Thrifting
two years ago..I Got Peeps, Yo
Linking up with:
Pin It

10 comments:

Tanya @ Lovely Greens said...

That looks so much tastier than your average potato ;)

French Girl in Seattle said...

Well, as a matter of fact, I had never heard of Irish Potato candy, and would have not been tempted to try it had I just read the name ;-) Now that I have seen the recipe, though, it sounds a lot more delicious ;-) Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

Creations By Cindy said...

Looks tasty. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bliss said...

I love all the ingredients in these, so I know I would enjoy them. But I must resist although I am keeping the recipe for when my fat butt has slimmed down.

~Bliss~

Love Of Quilts said...

Sounds quite tasty!

Katie said...

You know I think those look amazing! Have a great time at book club tonight!

Cheryl said...

These look good but I'll have to make them without the coconut! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Shantalle@lifestylesofthestayathomemom.com said...

You just paired 'candy' with my FAVORITE food group potatoes. This is a match made in heaven for sure. I can't think of a better combination of anything ;)

The Tablescaper said...

So fun! Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I just heard about these the other day - and seeing them makes me want them even more! These sound SO good. Coconut+sugar=yum!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails