Tuesday, April 9, 2013

{Get Crafty} Freezer & Wax Paper Transfer Trials (and Tribulations)

I guess by the title of this post you can tell that I still have the songs from Jesus Christ Superstar stuck in my head.

This year I tried something different on our Easter eggs.  


I was inspired by these fabulous calligraphy eggs but didn't have any temporary tattoo paper on hand.
 It was the night before Easter so I had to come up with another plan.
I've seen lots of tutorials for transferring images with freezer paper and  had some of it sitting in my kitchen drawer for a few years now, just waiting for a project.  Could it work on eggs? 
(I use emptied out eggs so we can keep them from year to year).
First I cut a piece of freezer paper the same size as a regular sized piece of printer paper (in my case 8 1/2 x 11 inches).   Spray the copy paper with adhesive and attach the freezer paper with the waxy side out to the sheet of paper.
I put it into my printer and used the reverse image template to print the words out onto the waxy side of the freezer paper.  I cut out the words I wanted to use, wet the egg and tried to transfer the image to the egg. Well, it smeared badly! Major fail. I didn't even take a photo because I was trying to clean them off to try again (note: this does not wash off--but we just dyed those eggs).
I took a big swig of this delicious Orange Vanilla Seltzer and tried method #2.
This time I used wax paper instead of the freezer paper and printed the words out on the paper (after attaching it to regular paper).  This method doesn't use water, you just 'burnish' the image onto the item.

It wasn't perfect (like a tattoo would be) but I liked it (imperfections and all!).
How's that for using what you've got?
It was definitely a different, classier and more mature look for our egg display. 
In the meantime, I will pick up some temporary tattoo paper so we can try these again next year and be even more classy and mature. ;)
Did you decorate eggs this year?
Linking up with:
Pin It

10 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh my Heather! I love this idea!!!!! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

lindalou said...

Great job with trial and error. Those eggs look so classy.

We did not decorate eggs this year. They went straight to deviled eggs.

Katie said...

These came out great! Definitely classy for your eggs!

And way to use what you had! I've always wanted to try those transfer things, but just haven't figured out what I want to transfer onto yet!

Jules said...

These turned out great....I have never seen them before. I am obviously not looking at the right things on Pinterest. Have a great day and yes, I am drooling to see that gallery wall - I am kind of obsessed with them...there, I admitted it!

Bliss said...

You can't get a better freezer paper transfer method endorsement than from Jesus himself!

Bliss

Gracie O'Tripp said...

I want to try that method on paper.

Morgan said...

That's amazing! I had no clue you could do that. They look so fancy :)

Marlis said...

Love this.. I must give it a try for sure. Thanks for taking us through the steps! xo marlis

Yolanda Ronaldo said...

Now that is cool! Definitely something I would love to do next year :)

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

so very nice...........Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails