Saturday, March 17, 2012

{Pinned} Irish Oatmeal Leek Soup

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Oatmeal soup? Yes!!
I pinned this recipe from here and it intrigued me. I'd never heard of using oatmeal in soup but it sounded really good.
I was so inspired by her food styling that I tried to emulate it.
{not as good as hers}
Cut up three leeks (white and light green only).
Get the rest of your ingredients together.
Saute the leeks in light butter (Earth Balance margarine is what I used).
Make your veggie broth (the original called for chicken but I was veganizing this one).
Add broth and milk (I used almond) to the sauteed leeks and bring to a boil.
Add oatmeal and fresh ground black pepper (to taste). Return to a boil and then cover and simmer for 25 minutes (longer if you're using Steel Cut oatmeal, I used Quaker Old Fashioned Oats).
Sprinkle with fresh (or in my case, dried) chives.
And enjoy!  It is really hearty and tasty!
Linking up with:
Pin It

6 comments:

Bliss said...

I have never heard of oatmeal in soup either. You said the whole thing was good, so describe the flavor for me.

Bliss

momto8 said...

this is brand new to me...and sounds great.. thank you very much!
And happy Saint Patricks Day!

Vera @ Cozy Little Cabin said...

Thanks for sharing. . . . I just LOVE almond milk and will soon be writing about it! LOL

Thanks for visiting and sweet comment!

Love Of Quilts said...

It looks delicious.Happy St Patrick's Day.

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

It looks so yummy!
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

The Tablescaper said...

I've never heard of oatmeal soup.

Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails