Thursday, March 1, 2012

{Recipe} Cauliflower Mac & Cheese

 Another recipe from:
and it's right on the cover. 
 It looked too good not to try.
 Warm, cheesy comfort food without all the carby pasta.
 I even made a vegan version* for my older daughter.
It was a crowd pleaser (and we're not the biggest cauliflower fans!)
 Miss Lefty enjoyed it too.
Would you like the recipe?
Here goes:
Mac-and-Cheese-Style Cauliflower (from Vegetarian Times)
Serves 8
1 large head cauliflower (1 1/2 pounds) cut into medium florets (8 cups)
2 TBS butter or margarine
3 TBS all purpose flour
2 cups low fat milk (I used skim)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower, boil 5-7 minutes until just tender.  Drain, reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid and set aside.
Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Whisk in milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly.  Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper and egg yolks until cheese is melted. Fold in cauliflower.
Coat 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.  Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray.  Bake 30 minutes or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.
*For the Vegan version, I subbed Earth Balance for the butter, almond milk for the milk, some Daiya cheese and nutritional yeast for the cheese and Ener-G egg replacer for the egg yolk.*
She loved it!

Linking up with:
K.I.S.S



Pin It

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Looks good. I've never conquered the cauliflower mac'n cheese. I may have to try this.

Bliss said...

I love cauliflower especially with cheese. Wonder if I went veggie if I would lose weight? My butt looks like a large head of cauliflower. Sorry for that visual.

~Bliss~

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I am a big cauliflower fan and this looks just wonderful! Never thought of cauliflower with pasta, but it's a great idea and the cayenne for punch...looks awesome..

Kate said...

Looks yummy! Pinned it!

Thanks!
Kate

EG Wow said...

Oh my! This looks great. AND I have cauliflower and cheese in my fridge... plus I am a vegetarian. :))

dee dee said...

You are such a great mom to learn to cook a whole new way... your daughter is very blessed! This looks yummy!
dee dee

Creations By Cindy said...

This looks so yummy! Thanks for the recipe. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

MARECHAL JACKY said...

ihave hungry ,good day

Katie said...

Mac and cheese is a favorite in my house! This looks delicious, I bet I'd eat a lot of veggies if I had them like this!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails