Tuesday, February 2, 2016

{Recipe} Vegan BBQ Jackfruit "Pulled Pork" & Avocado Slaw Salad

Jack-what?
If you're like me, you probably don't know what jackfruit is.  If you do, you're way ahead of the game. 


BBQ Pulled Jackfruit That'll Fool Meat Eaters.
Posted by BuzzFeed Oz on Tuesday, November 3, 2015
 I saw this short video and it intrigued me enough to go looking for the stuff. (I'm obsessed with those quick food videos!)**edit** I had the WRONG video up. Now it's the right one! Only 1.10 minutes long!***   My regular supermarkets did not carry jackfruit so I ventured out to an Indian grocery store.
When I asked the store employee  if they carried jackfruit, he asked fresh or frozen? I said "canned"????? and he sent me right to the proper aisle. Shopping in an Indian grocery store is quite the amazing sensory experience! I've been back since and I should do a whole post just about that. You need two 10 ounce cans of green jackfruit in brine (not syrup).  You can also order this online but I think going to the Indian grocery store is way more fun!  Please look away from my zombie thumb!
College Girl was home and she used this recipe for our BBQ Jackfruit.  You can follow along for the specifics on their site if you want to try and make this yourself.  The jackfruit looks like pieces of white pineapple right out of the can.  After draining, rinsing and drying it, cut off the center core pieces.
Saute it up with bbq spices like brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, etc..
Meanwhile get the ingredients for the avocado slaw ready.
Add in your favorite bbq sauce and keep cooking.
Salt and toast some cashews (optional for topping).
As the jackfruit cooks, you can start shredding it (like pulled pork) with two forks.
Mix up the avocado slaw.
When everything is ready, assemble your salad. We used the slaw as our base, added the bbq jackfruit and topped it with the toasted cashews. Yum.  You can also make sandwiches out of it.
The jackfruit has a similar texture to pulled pork. It has a mild flavor so it picks up whatever flavors you cook it with.  I want to try my old pork roast recipe on it next and also see if I can make it in the crock pot.   Stay tuned....
Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up with:
Cooking and Crafting with J & J

Pin It

7 comments:

laura@notatrophywife.com said...

I am intrigued! And I need to step outside my Costco and Kroger box for shopping! Yes do a post on shopping at other markets! Yes please! laura

Tamar SB said...

Wow - never heard of doing this!

Kelleyn Rothaermel said...

I would have never thought of this combination before. I have only had jack fruit once though. Looks yummy!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

This looks SO SO SO good! I love your recipes! I haven't heard of JackFruit but I'm definitely going to be taking a trip to our Indian grocery - if I can find one. I visited our local Asian grocery about 2 weeks ago, I was amazed with the various produce and offerings there! This recipe looks like a must try and that avocado slaw? YUM!!! Thanks for sharing!

Carla from The River said...

Wow, this is very interesting. I think it would be fun to try. Adding to the grocery list I have when we visit our BIG town that is 45 minutes from Cameron. We have a store called Woodmans. It is amazing and has an international section.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

This looks so good Heather!
Thanks for sharing this recipe with us at Cooking and Crafting with J&J!

Jessica Pelasky said...

This sounds so delicious! :)

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails