Monday, February 29, 2016

{Get Techy} Upgrading Your Mac's Memory

I'm probably the least techy person when it comes to my laptop so if I can do this, YOU can do this. I don't know what took me so long to do this but I'm so glad I finally did.  It's seriously so easy to do.
If you can handle a screwdriver, you can do this.  My friendly Apple Genius pointed me to the website Other World Computing for my memory upgrade.  The site is simple to navigate and helps you find your model number, amount of memory you can upgrade to (I went from 4GB to 16 GB) and provides instructional videos for installation.
If you follow this video, you can see how I upgraded my RAM space.   My only glitch was not having a small enough (++) Phillips head screwdriver when I was ready to upgrade. You can order that from the company as well but I didn't and realized I needed it after the fact. I found a set at Lowe's that had the size I needed for less than $10.  
The video link also has step by step instructions and photos which were so helpful  The difficulty level was EASY so it was the perfect first techy project for me.   You basically open up the back of the laptop, remove the old memory modules and insert the new memory modules then close it back up. Easy peasy!
Since the upgrade, my laptop doesn't crash when I have multiple tabs open. I can listen to my favorite Sirius radio station and work on Photoshop at the same time!  It also feels faster in general.
We upgraded College Girl's Mac when she was last home too. Just call me Mrs. Tech!

Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

4 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Cool trick! I have the new one with the solid state drive, love its speed!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I would say I'm pretty impressed that you did this, for a "non techy girl". Thanks for the great tutorial, it will come in handy here!

Carla from The River said...

Wow! You are Mrs. Tech. Cool work!!

Morgan said...

That's awesome! I don't have a Mac, but my husband does. He is so much better at all that "tech-y" stuff than I am (for which I am grateful!). I used to work in IT, but so much has changed since 2006... Haha.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails