Thursday, February 18, 2016

{Recipe} Seaweed Salad

Whenever we go out for sushi, I have to order the seaweed salad as an appetizer.  It's some addictive stuff, I tell ya! I never thought of making it at home until I found this recipe.  It pairs perfectly with our DIY Vegan Sushi.
 I found the dried kelp in the Asian section of my supermarket.   While researching this post, I found out that kelp is not only tasty but really good for you. It's a type of seaweed that is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.   You can read more about the health benefits of kelp here.
 Ingredients:
2 oz dried konbu kelp
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
2 TBS liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
1 TBS rice vinegar
drizzle of Siracha (opt)
2 tsp sesame seeds
1) Cut the kelp into strips with clean kitchen scissors, this is much easier to do when it's dry. Next time I will cut mine a little thinner because once they soak in the water, the swell up.
2) Soak the kelp strips for about an hour.
3) After the kelp is done soaking, rinse and dry it.   I placed mine on a clean dish towel and patted it down. You can also let it air dry.  (See how thick the strips are now? I prefer them thinner--but they are hard to cut once they've been soaked, they become very slippery!)
4) Combine the dried off kelp in a bowl with the other ingredients. Let sit for at least 10 minutes to soak up the flavors.
5) When serving you can add a little more sesame seeds and Siracha if you like.  So what do you think?  Are you game for some seaweed?

Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Yum!
A friend and I are getting sushi for lunch - seaweed salad is always a must!

Barefoot by the Sea said...

Yum, this looks good - I've never had it before so you are giving me ALL sorts of inspiration this week for certain!

Becky said...

It looks just like spinach linguini!

Morgan said...

I actually haven't ever eaten that before, but it sounds really good! I love salads of all types!

Carla from The River said...

How interesting, I just met a lady who takes a Kelp supplement. I had no idea the health benefits, until she shared them with me.
My son Sam loves to try new foods. He would enjoy making this with me.
Thank you! Carla

Clairejustine oxox said...

Oh wow, I have never tried seaweed. I would try it if someone made me some :)

Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays..

Julie's Lifestyle said...

This sounds so good healthy and yummy.
TFS this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

Jessica Pelasky said...

This is very interesting!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails