Thursday, October 10, 2013

{Get Crafty} Hanging Porch Bats

I pinned this idea from Martha and thought it would be a fun way to decorate our porch.
I bought 3 pieces of black poster board at Michael's for .99c/each.   I was able to fit two bats on each piece of poster board.  The template is for a half bat so you fold the paper in half and trace the template onto the black paper.
Cut out the bat shapes and fold along crease lines. I didn't have a bone folder so I used a ruler.
Before I knew it I had a little colony of bats on the kitchen table!

To hang them I used monofilament string (fishing line) that I had from another project.  Punch a tiny hole in the bottom if you want to hang them upside down or punch a hole in each wing to hang right side up and string them up with the finishing line.
The instructions said to use painters tape or tiny hooks to hang from your porch ceiling. I didn't want to use hooks because I wanted to play around with the placement of the bats until I liked how they looked.  
The painters tape didn't hold the bats though so I ended up using masking tape and they've stayed up ever since.  The bats are a good size that can even be seen from the street as you drive by.  
I like how they complement the new front door color too!  
The total cost of this project was under $3.  

Some of my other Halloween Projects:


Pin It

14 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Those look so fun!!

Becky said...

Oh my gosh Heather, they turned out fantastic! I love it!!! Good to know about the painters tape!!

Jules said...

I love all of your Halloween decor, but am just dying over the bats!!! The are the perfect spooky toucj for your porch! I still need something above my mantel just not sure if I want to do anymore decorating for Halloween! I currently have a banner up that is refusing to stay put...it is wearing me out!

Debbiedoos said...

Those look super cool Heather! I want those too now:)

Pam Jackson said...

Oh your house is all spooked out....looks great. I need to get my stuff out and get it up. I made some black hanging bats out of wood. I love them.

Pam Jackson said...

Oh your house is all spooked out....looks great. I need to get my stuff out and get it up. I made some black hanging bats out of wood. I love them.

Bliss said...

The upside down hanging bats are cracking me up!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh it is all very SPOOKTACULAR!

Know what else is spooktacular when someone links several recipes. Way to up your chances. YOU WON!

Please email me at decortoadore(the "at" symbol)hotmail.com

Ruth Soukup said...

I love this. They look SO great hanging on your front porch. I love hanging bats during Halloween, I even have some in my house. I may just have to add some to my porch because, this is such a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing and for linking up to Thrifty Thursday.

Michele Alger said...

Way fun! I love the bats and the mantel is so perfect for Halloween!

Dawn said...

What a fun porch!

Ida said...

What a fun project. The bats turned out great. We don't have a front porch (had to tear ours out to make a bigger living room after we bought the house).

Claire Hartburn said...

Great project !!

I would love you to come and share @ Craft, Create & Inspire linky party !!!

Look forward to seeing you there :)

http://lemonpaperdesigns.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/craft-create-inspire-linky-party.html

Claire x

Katie said...

I really love these bats! They look great and very Halloween-y!

I want to hang some on our balcony!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails