Monday, October 14, 2013

{Recipe} Spicy Thai "Noodle" Broccoli Slaw

I was craving some of my Spicy Thai Noodles but wanted something a little lighter.   I decided to try and swap out the noodles for bagged broccoli slaw and to lighten up the dressing ingredients too. 
My Lightened Up Broccoli Slaw is a staple around here so I usually pick up a bag or two of broccoli slaw when I'm at the store.
I gathered up the flavors and ingredients that I thought would make a lighter version of the noodles: 2 bags of broccoli slaw, toasted sesame oil, agave, sesame seeds, cilantro, powdered peanut butter, low sodium soy sauce and salt & pepper.  I used the noodles raw but you could cook them if you like a softer texture (I personally like the crunch) or want to serve the dish warm.
I like to make my broccoli slaw in this large air tight container. I added the broccoli slaw, shredded carrots and chopped red onions (since I didn't have any scallions).
 I toasted some sesame seeds and threw them in there as well.  I made a dressing out of soy sauce, agave, cilantro, toasted sesame oil, powdered peanut butter and crushed red pepper.  I tried to use less oil and more soy sauce to keep the dressing light, adding salt and pepper to taste.
 I poured the dressing over the salad and mixed well, then put the lid on the container and shook it up. I store it upside down in the fridge to distribute the dressing evenly (a little goes a long way)
The result was a tasty alternative to the noodles and a welcome change to my normal broccoli slaw.
Here are some other times I've swapped out noodles for veggies:
Do you have a favorite recipe swap out?
Linking up with:
Create & Share
Catch A Glimpse
Pin It

4 comments:

Jules said...

These all look sooooo yummy!!!!

Tamar SB said...

I love using broccoli slaw in things like that! I do it all the time!

Becky said...

What a gear idea to switch out veggies for noodles! And I love agave too!

Katie said...

This looks so so yummy! Love the noodle swap - I'm always looking for things to replace some or all of the noodles in a recipe!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails