Tuesday, October 8, 2013

{Recipe} 60 Calorie Pumpkin Spice Latte (Vegan Friendly)

I love Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes but a typical Grande size made with whole milk and whipped cream can run a whopping 410 calories!  Even a nonfat with no-whip is 260 calories (not bad, but still too much for me to justify as a snack).   I also find them too sweet so I always ask for a 1 pump, non fat Grande which shaves off about 90 calories and is just the right amount of sweetness for me.

I've created a way to enjoy them at home with a lot less calories and at a fraction of the price.  First, I brew a cup of Starbucks House Blend coffee in my Keurig (at home I use coffee rather than espresso). 
I add one tablespoon of Torani Pumpkin Spice syrup.  I found mine on line (when we created this Italian soda bar) but sometimes you can find it at TJ Maxx or Homegoods.  
Unlike Starbucks pumpkin syrup, the Torani syrup is VEGAN! Did you know that even a Soy Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks isn't vegan?  Their syrup contains dairy. 
 
Then I warm up 1/4 cup of skim milk (you can swap your favorite non dairy milk for the vegan version, but soy seems to froth best) in my trusty beaker (for about 15 seconds in the microwave). *note: keep an eye on your milk, it can quickly bubble over*
 Next, I froth the milk with my handy milk frother from Ikea.  This little guy is worth its weight in gold and at only $2.49, is such a bargain!  Skim milk seems to froth better than fuller fat milks and makes a lot of foam.  
When I have enough foam, I pour it right over the coffee.
I like to sprinkle a little cinnamon or sugar free cinnamon sugar on top.
Then it's time to sit back, sip and enjoy!
{Calorie count based on 1 TBS of Pumpkin Spice Syrup & 1/4 cup of skim milk=62.5 calories. 
Pin It

13 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Yum! I used to love soy lattes as a treat, but now I can't have dairy or soy and love my coffee black - go figure!

Jules said...

I am not a coffee drinker, but I bet it smells heavenly...lol. For some reason I love the smell but not the taste.

camp and cottage living said...

This makes me wish I liked coffee!
I wonder how it would taste with tea...

Love Of Quilts said...

I have never tried Starbucks, we don't have one close to us.

Becky said...

Delicious!! I much prefer to make my coffee drinks at home, the hubs is in the coffee biz ;), so we have a large variety of products to choose from! I totally agree, skim milk does get frothier, sometimes it froths right over the edge of my carafe!

Bliss said...

Mmmmm. Just mmmmmmmm.

Stephanie Ziajka said...

Yummm! This post has my name written all over it. Definitely trying this, so thank you for sharing :) Stopping by from Thursday's Favorite Things :) Have a great weekend!

xo,
Stephanie
Diary of a Debutante
www.stephanieziajka.blogspot.com

Stephanie Ziajka said...

Yummm! This post has my name written all over it. Definitely trying this, so thank you for sharing :) Stopping by from Thursday's Favorite Things :) Have a great weekend!

xo,
Stephanie
Diary of a Debutante
www.stephanieziajka.blogspot.com

Rockabye Parents said...

One of the things I love about fall are Pumpkin Spice Lattes, but I hate the calories. Thanks for the recipe! Visiting from the A to Z linky party.

Debra Oliver said...

yum, thanks for the info!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Sounds so good. I would love this. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

awal.ny said...

How yummy. I can't wait to set up a coffee bar in my new bedroom. I love the flavored syrups. Alaina

Katie said...

What a great idea!

I love the flavored syrups. I like the get the peppermint one around Christmas and make my own peppermint hot chocolate!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails