Thursday, October 31, 2013

{Recipe} Chickpea Fries

After my amazing NYC trip with College Girl, I couldn't get these chickpea fries from Peace Food Cafe out of my head 
(not to mention that mind bowing vegan burger) and I really wanted to try them out in my own kitchen.
I found a recipe here that was based on those exact fries. Score!
They start with 2 cups of water that you bring to a boil in a medium pan and add in 1 cup of garbanzo bean (aka chickpea) flour slowly.
Whisk until smooth.  Add 1 TBS of oil (I used canola)and the following spices to the mixture:
1 tsp Kosher salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp paprika,1/2 tsp oregano and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper.
Stir until thickened (1-2 minutes) and remove from heat.
Oil a 9x9 baking pan.   Spread the chickpea batter evenly in the pan, smoothing top with a spatula. Refrigerate at least one hour or up to overnight until firm and solid.
Remove from fridge and loosen edges of pan with a butter knife. Flip mixture onto a cutting board.
Cut into fries. 
Saute in 1 TBS (canola) oil until brown and crispy on each side (about 5 minutes per side). Transfer to paper towel and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or just plain!
We used catsup to offset the spiciness of the fries. The original fries had more of an Indian spice taste so I'll have to try adding some of those the next time I make them.
  Now if I could only find a recipe for that creamy dipping sauce.....
Pin It

6 comments:

Tamar SB said...

What a great idea! Totally need to try these!!

Jules said...

This sound absolutely delish....yummy!!!!

Katie said...

These look awesome! Now that Trader Joe's is opening here in Baton Rouge (today!!!) I can get chickpea flour to try them out!

Bliss said...

Now that is one flour I have never heard or or seen. Seriously, who was sitting around and thought lets make flour out of garbanzos!

Becky said...

Chickpea flour, who knew?? These look amazing"

Ida said...

They grow Chickpeas in our area but I had no clue they made flour from them. The fries sound interesting.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails